Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MIG or TIG on an aluminum speed boat

I have a question about which gear to use and what you think my chances of success are welding an aluminum speedboat.

I have a friend who badly smashed up an aluminum speedboat. He's willing to buy the gear needed to weld it. We're shopping for gear in a small town in Venezuela so there's not a lot of choice of machines. But there is a MIG and a TIG machine for sale, and I beleive there's a place that has argon gas.

I've never MIG or TIG welded but I have some field experience with stick welding.

My friend did find a MIG and a TIG machine for sale, though the owner says "they won't weld aluminum". What are the requirements for a MIG or TIG machine for welding thin aluminum? I've seen very expensive and fancy units demonstrated on YouTube welding Coke cans. I certainly won't be able to get a machine like that.

My friend is going to get the model number of the machines for sale and I'll post them when I have them.

So what are my chances of being successful starting out with MIG or TIG with possibly less than ideal gear on an aluminum speedboat? What's your gut feeling?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Greg

NO EXPERIENCE with either mig or tig.

Thin aluminum.

I'm guessing you don't have a snowball's chance in hades of making a satisfactory repair in the next 12 months.

Thin aluminum that's been exposed to oxidation from salt water is a challenge even for an experienced tigger who's used to working with thin material.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    NO EXPERIENCE with either mig or tig.

Thin aluminum.

I'm guessing you don't have a snowball's chance in hades of making a satisfactory repair in the next 12 months.

Thin aluminum that's been exposed to oxidation from salt water is a challenge even for an experienced tigger who's used to working with thin material.
    Well thanks for the honesty!

The boat is almost brand new, and it's never seen salt water. But it is thin aluminum and I have no MIG/TIG experience. Though I've watched it on YouTube. And my high school shop teacher said I was a natural welder. : - )

Greg

Cool

You need to meet Steph and start a boat repair...Bob
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...t=boat+welding
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 02-22-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thin aluminum? MIG I'd say no. TIG yes but with no experience GOOD LUCK. When you get it done Sundown will go speed boatin with you.

Default More info

Just a bit more info. The TIG welder my friend found for sale is a:

Chicago Electric TIG 240 volt and says it is an Inverter Arc / TIG welder

Does this up my chances?

Greg

turbo38t Guest

none.....forget it.....sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by takoateli View Post
    Just a bit more info. The TIG welder my friend found for sale is a:

Chicago Electric TIG 240 volt and says it is an Inverter Arc / TIG welder

Does this up my chances?

Greg

Chicago Electric TIG 240 is sold at Harbor Freight I believe. Need I say more. I'm not even sure this machine will produce AC current.

Why not use the money for gear and hire an experienced welder to do the repair? It's not fun to be in a sinking boat, trust me.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Dude you are really barking up the wrong tree... First off if you have never TIG welded before and you think you are going to start off in the deep end of the pool with success is INSANE!! There's people that can TIG steel very, very well that can't TIG Aluminum AT ALL !!! After many years of experience TIG welding... First off if the seller is telling you the equipment isn't capable of welding Aluminum why do you think that you can make it do the job when you have admitted you have no experience at all TIG welding? Again that's simply insane..