Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hobart handler with spool gun 190 vs Eastwood Mig 175 with spool gun

Im leaning with the hobart because its american made and has a 5 year warranty but its 850 bucks im trying to gather more information that will fully convince me to not buy the eastwood 175 for 540 bucks ill take any opinion
    Thanks, Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by EM Fab View Post
    Im leaning with the hobart because its american made and has a 5 year warranty but its 850 bucks im trying to gather more information that will fully convince me to not buy the eastwood 175 for 540 bucks ill take any opinion
    Thanks, Ernie
    It is easier to get the Hobart fixed, and find parts for it.

The Hobart will be worth more than the other welder in case you decide to sell it.

More power from the Hobart.

-Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

If you are planning on doing aluminum.... NEITHER machine is going to be very useful.... you may find it much more practical in the long run to spend more for a machine with true aluminum capability if that is what you plan on using it for.... both machines come with a cute little spoolgun.... but in the real world their usefullnes for welding aluminum parts will be extremely limited... save your money and buy a larger machine with real duty cycle and voltage....

both machines advertise 30percent duty cycle at 130amps.... really marginal...would like to see the results of a real test using these machines on aluminum parts.... with actual arc voltage readings... bet they drop to the floor....

just my 2c worth.... others may disagree...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Well this is my first mig and i still plan on getting a miller 252 once i get a 50 amp breaker set up

Think you will be much happier with the MM252 and save some money in the long run... you really will need that extra horsepower that the little machines do not have if you really do intend to do aluminum work... plus if you look at how lightly built the "hobby" style machines are built compared to the MM252.... in the Eastwood video.. their rollers were kinda toylike... you really could not expect industrial duty on those little machines...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Well this is my first mig and i still plan on getting a miller 252 once i get a 50 amp breaker set up
    Buy the MM252 and run it on whatever you have now- you're just wasting money buying a 190 now and then a MM252- unless you want 2 machines down the road

It will only draw as much power as it needs so just keep it at the same settings as what you would run the 190.

What circuit do you have now? 30amp? 40amp?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Im runnig my stick welder from the stove current which i believe is a 30 amp but i do have a 40 amp in my circuit box for my heater should i run it off the 40 amp one?

Im runnig my stick welder from the stove current which i believe is a 30 amp but i do have a 40 amp in my circuit box for my heater should i run it off the 40 amp one?
    the MM252 wants to see 46amps @230vac.... so the 40amp breaker will get you most of the way there untill you can get a dedicated 50amp breaker installed for full output.....

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Do you know around how much will it cost to get a 50 amp breaker installed?

The 252 sells for 2100 bucks on ebay