Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spanning distance allowed for 2" x 1/4" square tubing

Building a metal work table. Would like to span 10' with just one vertical center support. Anyone know if 10' is too much. Plan on using 1/4" plate for top. General shop usage. Nothing too heavy will be placed on the table... just bench tools.

turbo38t Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aggieclimber View Post
    Building a metal work table. Would like to span 10' with just one vertical center support. Anyone know if 10' is too much. Plan on using 1/4" plate for top. General shop usage. Nothing too heavy will be placed on the table... just bench tools.
    You could do 10' with 6 legs I'd say. Is it 10'x5' or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggieclimber View Post
    I hope you are using some seriously strong square tubing!

Here is a link where you can calculate how much is "Nothing too heavy". If you need help with those tables, just ask.

http://www.steeltubeinstitute.org/pd..._table_bro.pdf
    Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 02-14-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
    I hope you are using some seriously strong square tubing!

Here is a link where you can calculate how much is "Nothing too heavy". If you need help with those tables, just ask.

http://www.steeltubeinstitute.org/pd..._table_bro.pdf

He said 2" 1/4" tubing for legs.

No problem for 5' sections as Turbo38t stated.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post

He said 2" 1/4" tubing for legs.
    I will have to have a few more drinks before I am able to read that in the OP post.

I will have to have a few more drinks before I am able to read that in the OP post.

read the Title
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

read the Title
    Yeah, I am still looking at a steel tubing spanning question but I assure you in another hour I will see everything much differently...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by turbo38t View Post
    You could do 10' with 6 legs I'd say. Is it 10'x5' or so?
    The top will only be 36" deep (off garage wall). My thought is 10' of tubing to support top and 10' of tubing along bottom edge of the shelf (to be under taple top work area). Then a vertical support in the middle giving me two 5' sections for storage underneath. Plan on expanded steel and locking doors to keep tools. Also thought additional support under shelf area (from shelf to lower section of the leg) would help. Trying not to take up space in storage area with supports.

Let me know if you have other ideas.

Yeah, I am still looking at a steel tubing spanning question but I assure you in another hour I will see everything much differently...LOL

10' Total length

at 5' he will put a support.
    Now the span is only 5' for 2"x2" x 1/4 Tubing for a shop table

he could park a car on top
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Now the span is only 5' for 2"x2" x 1/4 Tubing for a shop table

I would love to see a useful span of greater than 4' for 2" x 1/4' tubing that I could purchase. Could you provide me a link to a source for this tubing as I am very interested?