Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Cool MIG welding cast iron exhaust manifold.

You guys know how hard it is sometime to weld an old junky exhaust manifold? I have done hundreds of them over the last 34 years most of them stick with Ni rod and some brazed. Some worked well some didn't. So move ahead 30 years i picked up some Crown Alloys .035 44-30 mig wire for cast iron. Its used with Argon and works great. This manifold on my Geo Metro had a crack and it has been hissing for 4 months or so. I drove the car around to warm it up since i wasn't planning to remove it and hit the crack with a die grinder and a stone. Then i dabbed the mig wire in the clean area and triggered it right up the crack. It took about 30 seconds and sealed the crack right up. I let the car run for a few minutes and then let it cool. So far so good. The 2# spool is 75 bucks and i wanted to try it out for a test...Bob
    http://www.crownalloys.com/TechSheet...ew_Warning.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Looks like a miracle wire for cast iron, looks like it does well, with not so clean parent metal. Did you notice any porosity anywhere in the weld?
    I might have to get myself a roll.

Cool

The cast has to be clean. I ground where i was going to weld with a die grinder and a stone to shiney metal. The wire stuck perfect to that area. Nope no pin holes. It could have been better if i had more then 2" of room to work in but it was fine...Bob

Keep us posted on how it lasts. New technology is great. Good job , Wayne
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Cool

I will watch it since its on my daily driver. I didn't want to try it on someone elses ride first...Bob

That is some awesome wire. I bought a 10# spool and it was worth every cent.
    It is so nice to be able to just spot it in quick like that. Much more control than rod.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus