Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Motor vfd drive

Portable
    I would look into a variable frequency drive to power your cranes. As it was brought up in other post there are farms that have three phase but a lot have only single phase. Twenty years ago on the bigger ones with only single phase you would see rotary phase converters, but in the last 15 years we have went to vfd drives to run vacuum pumps,milk pumps water pumps etc. You have to derate the drive for single phase, that means if you have a 5 hp motor you would install a 10 hp drive the drive makes a true 3 phase and has all the protection circuits built into it they are also quiet. Your electrican should be able to find out all the information that you need, for me i only use or recommend only ABB drives as they are the most user friendly

Duane

VFD is my vote, Ive installed quite a few of them. You do have to increase the size of the unit, and not all are capable of doing that either. But it is very cost effective and much easier on the equipment over a phase converter. ABB is good, but expensive. I get all my drive and industrial control products from a company in GA, let me know if you want the info for them, or any help in installing/setting it up!

Default Vfd drives

I get mine from galco industrial electronics in madison heights mi.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRob View Post
    VFD is my vote, Ive installed quite a few of them. You do have to increase the size of the unit, and not all are capable of doing that either. But it is very cost effective and much easier on the equipment over a phase converter. ABB is good, but expensive. I get all my drive and industrial control products from a company in GA, let me know if you want the info for them, or any help in installing/setting it up!
    They make single phase in 3-phase out VFD's?

Its one of the best features of a VFD, nowadays most are capable of that, and the ones that dont are very large or very cheap models.

I have got a few prices to go with single phase drive trucks for 2 bridges and it will cost
    $ 11,148.00 so I have re thought my options an will just use a single phase hoist and have 2 run ways so each bridge will be be about 18'-6" which is very easy to pull up and down the run way.
    However I will now need 4 hoist 2 for each bay, I lucked out a year ago and stoled a couple 1/2 ton coffings for $ 250.00 each that will work in the one bay where we wont do much heavy lifting.

The cost for ( 2 ) 2 ton harrington hoists are about $ 3,000.00 each.

I would say to keep an eye on the HGR website.they are an industrial liquidation warehouse. I've bought a few things there.I've seen hoists there all the time.

Default Crane for my shop addition

I farm and have 3phase my grain leg, grain dryer, several augers, and most of my shop tools are all 3phase. I also have 5 3phase ton hoist for sale bought 5 at a farm consignment sale in a crate for 175 bucks. They are all cm hoists it was a good day to buy at the sale, it was raining
    Last edited by metalworksinc; 03-06-2012 at 05:41 PM.