Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Learning to Tig

I don't know if they have them in the Chicago area, but our high schools in Tennessee have continuing education courses at night for around $75. The local community college also allows you to audit classes for less than full price. There's no way to give enough tips in this forum but here's one - stand two pieces of light gauge metal to form an "A" then tack each end. Practice welding the ridge without filler metal till you get a smooth bead with about 1/32" penetration.

Good Luck!

I like that idea. Do I set up the A using aluminum or mild steel? Thanks for the tip HILRUNR. I too am about to dive into tig, I do weld at work when the need arises, or should I say, I splatter at work when the need arises, and your idea sounds like a good way to practice.

Gihfuk Guest

Too early...

HTP over in Arlington Heights holds a "beginner TIG" class every month or so; give Jeff Noland a call over there, he can give you the details. It was a good newbie introduction to basic TIG welding with an inverter rig for my wife and I. I don't remember specifically, but I think the class was either $75 or $100.
    -Ed
    Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.

Default Learning to Tig

To answer bfloyd4445's question. Start with steel. If you want to try aluminum you might want to step up to 1/4" plate and remember; as heat builds in the piece your travel speed will have to increase, unless you've got a foot pedal and can reduce amperage.

Thanks hilruner. good advice. Aluminum gets shinny lookin and then its gone<smile>. I've made a few nice holes in aluminum with a torch, aint at all like steel. I haven't yet even tried to mig aluminum, shoot, just recently learned how to make a half way decent looking bead with good penetration with a mig< lincoln 175plus> on steel. Took me awhile to get the hang of migs automatic feeding of the filler material. I think tig will be easier for me because its more like gas welding even though the experts say its harder to learn.

Default The Challenge

Every since I took up welding as a hobby, I notice the weld bead on everything around me, from stairs to motor cycles to ....

I had to drop off a package at FedEx the other day, they have Alum. hand trucks that had butt ugly welds. The bead starts out about 1/4" and is almost 1/2" after 16 inches - no heat control - burn baby burn.

Now look at an expensive bicycle - the text book ripple every 1/32" - something to strive for.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sjmiller
    Every since I took up welding as a hobby, I notice the weld bead on everything around me, from stairs to motor cycles to ....

I had to drop off a package at FedEx the other day, they have Alum. hand trucks that had butt ugly welds. The bead starts out about 1/4" and is almost 1/2" after 16 inches - no heat control - burn baby burn.

Now look at an expensive bicycle - the text book ripple every 1/32" - something to strive for.

Steve
    Hey! Nuttin wrong with that weld, the welder just added his artistic touch. Its a work of art<smile>