Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Just read the gcr again last night, you only need backer plates if you are bolting the structure to the tub. Thats road racing rules at least, don't know about nhra.

Sam

I just checked NHRA again and it's the same...only needed if bolting.

Thanks for the heads up....definately better to double check than to miss something.

I have a couple of tubes that meet a shallow angles (nearly parallel) and I've been practicing on the bench how to weld the very inside of the angle. I'm not happy with my current results.

Basically I've been extending the tungsten way out of the cup (about 1") in order to reach into the joint but I'm obviously not getting proper gas coverage and it's a mess.

Any advise on how to do this joint. Been using a size 17 torch with a #6 cup and just cant get anywhere near that joint.

Have you tried a gas lense with the longer stick out?

To keep it in the ITW family, here's a bit about use of a gas lense at Weldcraft. http://www.weldcraft.com/2008/01/gas...asics-for-tig/

As far as I know you cannot weld chromoly with any thing but tig. A you have to pre heat and be carful not to over penetrate.

I switched up to the gas lense and things went much better....what a difference. I'm not certain the job I did would be good enough for an airplane or a 6 second car but for my first go in a car just tickling the required times for a roll bar I'm thinking everything worked out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikewalker11 View Post
    As far as I know you cannot weld chromoly with any thing but tig. A you have to pre heat and be carful not to over penetrate.
    NOT Correct....

OXY FUEL was the preferred method for many years, long before TIG....

here is an overview of 4130 TIG from the Weldcraft site...

http://www.weldcraft.com/2007/08/tig...me-moly-steel/

How do you think all of those Piper Cubs got built before TIG was invented..??

This is how it was done 70 years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q6q1VKsTeKQ
    Last edited by H80N; 07-18-2012 at 10:37 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Oatway View Post
    I switched up to the gas lense and things went much better....what a difference. I'm not certain the job I did would be good enough for an airplane or a 6 second car but for my first go in a car just tickling the required times for a roll bar I'm thinking everything worked out pretty well.
    Brian...

the gas lense will make a huge difference in gas coverage and reducing turbulence...
    Attached Images Attached Images

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    NOT Correct....

OXY FUEL was the preferred method for many years, long before TIG....

here is an overview of 4130 TIG from the Weldcraft site...

http://www.weldcraft.com/2007/08/tig...me-moly-steel/

How do you think all of those Piper Cubs got built before TIG was invented..??

This is how it was done 70 years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q6q1VKsTeKQ
    Watching the Piper construction brought back many memories.. As my older brother earned his flying time expense in trade for labor rebuilding aircraft at a local, small airport, I as a young 8 - 10 year old had free run of the place and saw many a disassembled aircraft engines and air frames under repair. The '50s were of a different era before liability lawsuits, etc closed off this kind of access to the younger generations.

As mentioned above, gas welding was the method to build and repair the Pipe chromealloy frames..

my brother in his earlier years...
    http://home.4x4wire.com/deddleman/Hal-Piper-J3-s.jpg

Hobby Welder for about 32 years
    Hobart 190 MIG with SpoolGun
    Hobart AirForce 700i Plasma Cutter
    Hornell Speedglas 9000X Helmet
    295A AC Buzzbox (what I learned on)
    Miller Bobcat 225, factory propane option, also serves as my emergency power generator
    Dandeman Dan's Toy Page

Quote Originally Posted by dandeman View Post
    Watching the Piper construction brought back many memories.. As my older brother earned his flying time expense in trade for labor rebuilding aircraft at a local, small airport, I as a young 8 - 10 year old had free run of the place and saw many a disassembled aircraft engines and air frames under repair. The '50s were of a different era before liability lawsuits, etc closed off this kind of access to the younger generations.

As mentioned above, gas welding was the method to build and repair the Pipe chromealloy frames..

my brother in his earlier years...
    http://home.4x4wire.com/deddleman/Hal-Piper-J3-s.jpg

That is a really nice pic..... am sure that the family cherishes it...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200