Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Where do you find Welding Jobs

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the forum. I'm wondering if a few of you can help me out. Where do most welders go to find jobs? Is there one particular job board out there that is most popular? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mike

Cool

NE Ohio shops are screaming for welders, and of course they don't pay nuthing...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

What kinda welding do you do?

I personally don't do any welding, although I would love to learn the trade.... its more of a general research question. Welders seem to be in major demand and I'm wondering where a welder is first likely to look for a job when searching on the web..... where would you look?

Mike

i was just asked today to do some union jobs i forgot the union number but the pay seems o be pretty good 40.00 an hour minimum with 150 a day per diem. the jobs are out there you just got to go out and get your name out there.

Well if i were you i would get into pipe welding. Become a helper at first and listen and watch and ask. Then to speed up the process practice, practice, practice starting with roll outs and advancing to position welds. Find your way and stick with it. Experiment later. I welded a coupon about 5 nights a week for 4-5 months. I like to keep it simple and stupid and save the tricks for bad fitups. It takes a lot of hard work and determination unless you want to end up migging in the flat position all day.

Oh yeah. if i were looking id call friends in the trade first, then the hotsheet, then indeed.com. just my .02

if you have a machine and a torch i would visit the local scrap metal yard they will sell you any size pipe really cheap. cut you out some pieces and practice. i pickup used drill pipe all the time for projects around the shop sometimes they will let you haul it off for free and othertimes you can get 20' joints for 10.00 a joint it's a good heavy walled pipe to practice with or use for stuff to build.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradoman View Post
    Oh yeah. if i were looking id call friends in the trade first, then the hotsheet, then indeed.com. just my .02
    Silveradoman, what is the 'hotsheet'?...... I've definitely heard of indeed, I'll check that out.... anyone else have any other suggestions on where on the web people are looking for welding jobs?

Thanks again for everyone's input on this!

Mike