Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Just got a call from Airgas, the Miller rep. told him that this combo does not run .035 5356 very well, try .030.
    So I will now try that...
    Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
    Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
    Miller 250MP w/30A spool
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Danno, were you using flux core steel wire in the machine before you switched to the spool gun? If so, did you change your spoolgun to the correct electrode? Should be electrode positive. Maybe check yours too Rockscout. Hope thats it.
    Last edited by ja baudin; 02-16-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Default nateweld

I agree pos get a more powerful spoolgun....

Quote Originally Posted by ja baudin View Post
    Danno, were you using flux core steel wire in the machine before you switched to the spool gun? If so, did you change your spoolgun to the correct electrode? Should be electrode positive. Maybe check yours too Rockscout. Hope thats it.
    Nope, DCEP like it should be.

Thanks though!
    Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
    Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
    Miller 250MP w/30A spool
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Well against my best judgment, I tried .030 5356 as per the Miller rep. set it to 5/70 for a starting point per their parameter chart and wasted another tip, reset the machine to 4/100 and I managed to save the tip but its still just globular transfer.

Set it to 5/100 and works better but it still is not right, a lot of spatter, sprays just off the end off the tip and barley past the nozzle, so I can not finish the job with this thing, so it is going back to the dealer.

My next option at this point is, I am going to put the mig gun back on, install a roll of .035 5356 and put a .045 tip in the mig gun and try and finish the last two or so feet thats left. Then start shopping for a rental so I can start my next assembly.

Danno
    Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
    Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
    Miller 250MP w/30A spool
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Beta-Mig 251

turbo38t Guest

Why would he run .30 if hes maxed on wire speed with .035?! Almost sounds like likeu have the wrong rollers in the gun....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Running 030 in this will help some, aluminum can be fussy. Gun angle and stick out are critical, it can be easy to forget little things that are more forgiving with steel. I play with the speed small adjustments. For you guys having problems,,, yes,, something wrong for sure, this machine should weld the same on 240 as 120 with more top end. I will see if I can look up a couple pics.

This may sound off the wall.... but .... try another work clamp/lead...

the work clamps supplied with those machines are marginal at best.... you may not be getting a good ground... they will give you trouble sooner or later... maybe sooner this time??
    One of first things that I do when I get a new machine is to replace the cheezy factory supplied work/ground clamp with a good quality bronze clamp, along with a heavier and longer lead....

may sound nutty... but I have seen similar stuff time after time....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    This may sound off the wall.... but .... try another work clamp/lead...

the work clamps supplied with those machines are marginal at best.... you may not be getting a good ground... they will give you trouble sooner or later... maybe sooner this time??
    One of first things that I do when I get a new machine is to replace the cheezy factory supplied work/ground clamp with a good quality bronze clamp, along with a heavier and longer lead....

may sound nutty... but I have seen similar stuff time after time....
    Good point, and NOT nutty at all, I did the same thing on my 350P & 350Lx the day I got them! replaced the cable and clamps with the tweco 400 amp Bronze clamps.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday morning with this little 211, so I grabbed the factory ground clamp and cable that came off the 350P, but the cable is too large to go through the front of the machine without drilling a bigger hole and I don't really want to do that because I may just send the whole mess back to them.

However just for the heck of it, I'll open the side door and hook it up through there just to verify and if it works, I'll open up the hole in the front.

From the response's I have gotten on this issue, I must be only the second person in the US that has this combo, because only one has stepped up and says theirs works perfect or has the same problems.

If I was a hobbyist that would be one thing, but this is how I make my living and darn its frustrating to spend that much money and get this type of qualitiy. At least my 350LX works like it should!

Danno
    Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
    Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
    Miller 250MP w/30A spool
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Quote Originally Posted by turbo38t View Post
    Why would he run .30 if hes maxed on wire speed with .035?! Almost sounds like likeu have the wrong rollers in the gun....
    Exactly!

Thats why I said "against my best jugment" If I am tapped out with .035 how is .030 going to help. But they are the manufacture and I will try what they want before returning it.

It's like the feed motor won't push the wire fast enough or is way out of sync with the speed control.

Am I missing a switch or tap setting I just don't see? Airgas tells me its just plug and go and all should be fine.

I will call Miller in the AM, I now have a contact thanks to the Mod here on the boards.
    Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
    Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
    Miller 250MP w/30A spool
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Just a heads up on my 350P, Airgas called today and so far the Miller repair station says "Yes" the feed assy. is defective and is sending a new one out next day air, but they believe there still may be something else going on but it hasn't raised its ugly head yet.
    Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
    Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
    Miller 250MP w/30A spool
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Beta-Mig 251