Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default TIG welding help!

Hello, I'm 16 years old and I'm a welder at my school. I've always been the one to fabricate things for everyone in my class. I've been doing a lot of tig welding lately but I'm finding my beads aren't real big. There really thin. I was wondering what I can do to beef them up. Make a bigger pool and dab the filler rod in more often? I'm relatively new to tig welding so don't beat me up too bad. I mainly do a lot of wire welding.

Ethan
    here are a couple of resources that may be helpful in your learning process

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-guide-graphic

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/TIGhandbook/

hope these help...

you might also take some pics of your TIG beads and post them here...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

there are some things you can do to make bigger welds. But it still will not compare to mig welding. You can dip more rod, or get bigger rod. But even with bigger rod it still wont compare to mig welding.
    Linclon power mig 350MP

For good pointers on welding go to weldingtips&tricks.com. Weld size should match what you are welding, check charts for tungsten size, amps and filler size(same as tungsten)

Default Well...

Lets start off with the basics. What size, model machine are you using. How thick is the material?