Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gotta ask.... MM 211

Are the suggested panel setting too freakin' hot or am i just too old and slow for a blue machine? I'm burning through 3/16 like it is tin foil!

its a fast paced world, you gotta move along a little faster

MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

Yeah, it is.... BUt i dont think im that slow.

If you can weld a 2G test plate with this thing set to it's cover settings, then i will applaude you.

Being my first inverter type machine, i am just not familiar with it and wanted to know if others feel the same way. Atleast with the old red machine, i could see my volts amd IPM and know where i stand.

I honestly asked the question to see if the hot settings are the norm, or if i needed to have my machine looked at.

Maybe i need to just burn a roll of wire at each wire speed designation and calculate my IPM and go from there.....

Default Mine too...

...runs HOT. I have NO experience and don't know how to weld, but to get a "good" bead; I have to turn the heat down.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

hi,you could search 211 and see what comes up. heres something interesting about dual shield and 211. Try taking the cane out of your hand . I'm thinking about adding a 211 to my collection. have fun.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=63270

thanks for the link to welding web, will have to hang out there a bit and do some reading.

Im using solid wire, so i guess i will go down to the next lowest settings and see what happens. I am so used to having a digital read out, all my tested settings are acutaul IPM and voltage numbers.... I dont know how the dial numbers on the Miller equate to acutal IPM and volts. Guess i will just have to figure that out later.

As I understand it the wire feed numbers on the dial indicate the percentage of total wire feed available. So if your 211 has a maximum of 400 imp mad you set the knob at the half way mark it will feed about 200 imp. A whole lot of reviews suggest that the 211 is a hot welder. Fortunately it also has infinite adjustment on the metal thickness so you can move it down just a little bit toward the next thinner metal thickness even if you are using Autoset and it will cool it down a bit.

I sold my 211 when I found a good deal on a 252/dual running gear/30A spool gun and 2 K size bottles - but I agree, it runs hot. I found that about halfway between the thickness I was actually welding and the next size DOWN was about right.

That's whether you set manually or use Autoset.

The 252 also runs a bit hot, I find that Miller's own MIG calculator (the slide rule one) is a bit hot for me, so I pick the thinnest metal to be welded and stay near the low end of the recommendations, at least for the first pass.

Other things that'll help are a good helmet, a steady rest that's adjustable so you can stay on track COMFORTABLY, and NOT welding while you're TIRED. If a project takes a while to cut out, set up, clean, clamp, etc, I may TACK it that day but I'll start fresh the NEXT day on welding it out.

Works for me, even at 68... Steve

For those that want to dial in their wire speed real close, here's a little test you can do, and it's right on.

Look at your watch and pull the trigger on your wire gun and let it run for 6 seconds.

Cut the wire and measure the amount of wire that you cut off at the tip.

Take that measurement and add a zero to it. and that'll be the amount of wire your gun is set to run in 1 minute. From that point, if it's too much or not enough, you can readjust the wire speed up or down to get what you want. After adjustment retest again.

Hope this helps.
    Bill

Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Miller 251
    Thermodynamics Plasma arc
    Benard "Center Fire" wirefeed gun
    Miller alum. spool gun
    Tweco Tig torch
    Victor O/A torches
    B&D Wildcat 9" grinder
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    7"x12" bandsaw

A shop that's always going to be to small.

I might give that a go.

I too feel like the settings are hot an most times end up in the next lowest setting.