Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Gotta ask.... MM 211

Are the suggested panel setting too freakin' hot or am i just too old and slow for a blue machine? I'm burning through 3/16 like it is tin foil!

its a fast paced world, you gotta move along a little faster

MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

Yeah, it is.... BUt i dont think im that slow.

If you can weld a 2G test plate with this thing set to it's cover settings, then i will applaude you.

Being my first inverter type machine, i am just not familiar with it and wanted to know if others feel the same way. Atleast with the old red machine, i could see my volts amd IPM and know where i stand.

I honestly asked the question to see if the hot settings are the norm, or if i needed to have my machine looked at.

Maybe i need to just burn a roll of wire at each wire speed designation and calculate my IPM and go from there.....

Default Mine too...

...runs HOT. I have NO experience and don't know how to weld, but to get a "good" bead; I have to turn the heat down.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

hi,you could search 211 and see what comes up. heres something interesting about dual shield and 211. Try taking the cane out of your hand . I'm thinking about adding a 211 to my collection. have fun.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=63270

thanks for the link to welding web, will have to hang out there a bit and do some reading.

Im using solid wire, so i guess i will go down to the next lowest settings and see what happens. I am so used to having a digital read out, all my tested settings are acutaul IPM and voltage numbers.... I dont know how the dial numbers on the Miller equate to acutal IPM and volts. Guess i will just have to figure that out later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Too hot is just right. The door charts are always too cold for me, just right for V up but I usually have these little machines set to wide open.
    Then you are welding material that is too thick for its capabilities; must have a great duty cycle set like that

Of all the different Millers we've owned over the years the door charts have always been a little on the high side, always thought it may be a liability issue. A good weldor doesn't need charts or digital meters to dial in a machine.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Default Really?

I would think that a 'good welder" would be the first man (or woman) to look at the charts when first dealing with an unfamiliar machine. Those of us who are not clairvoyant tend to use them for at least initial settings, and then fine-tune from there.

From a marketing standpoint its probably a good idea to have them burn a bit on the hot side. No new owner will ever be displeased to discover that their shiny new blue is more powerful than they expected and when they reach over and turn that dial down it does a lot more to assure themselves that they chose wisely than if they have to turn it up to get the job done.