Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Considering XR-alumapro

I have a MM 350P setup; mostly do steel art however I would like to be able to do aluminum in pulse mode. My old welder was a hobart ironman that I used with a spoolgun for many aluminum projects--and I must say that I hate spoolguns (can't stand the ergonomics). This is why I am considering the alumapro push/pull setup even though I am not going to do the volume of aluminum work to justify the alumapro package over a 30A spoolgun. Price wise, I figure that if I am going to pay $1000 for a 30A, I might as well pay $1700 for the alumapro...

My question is this, how hard is it to change out the alumapro for aluminum use to use with hardwire. From looking at how this works it seems it will be a matter of 1) changing the spool, 2) changing the 4 drive rollers from U->V groove, 3) changing the main liner from a plastic one to a steel one. Is that it?

Does the gun itself need to be dissassembled to change its internal liner, or is that a fixed liner that will work for hard or soft wire?

I know a simple option would be to just keep my Q-gun and swap out the whole gun and cable when I want to do steel. However, another benefit I see to the alumapro is that I can get a long 35' whip which would REALLY make my life easier (when working both aluminum & steel) due to the size of the projects I often work on.

So any opinions on this? Really just want to get a feel for how much work it will be to convert the XR setup from hard to soft since I may do this a couple times a day.

Thanks for the input.

Not quite sure what you mean by "main liner" and "internal liner" It has a teflon liner that runs the entire length of the whip and it has about a 6" teflon liner that runs through the head tube.
    I know I am gonna catch **** for suggesting this but there really wouldn't be a need to change liners between wires if this is just gonna be for artwork. Not unless you are planning to weld big aluminum structures that require high quality welds. If you are, then you will need to change liners also. As far as a steel liner, I don't think you can use a steel liner. Just a phos. bronze liner in the head tube.
    You can use a nylon liner for steel, stainless, and aluminum. Just change the wire and the drive rolls.

EDIT: After thinking about it for a minute, I realized that you were probably talking about the cable that the liner runs through between the power pin and the gun.
    Last edited by jpence38; 02-14-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

The XR-AlumaPro push pull is a great gun, I enjoy using mine a-lot. I'm just a hobbyist but it sure makes welding aluminum nice. I have had spool guns in the past and I'll have to say that I believe you wouldn't gain much ergonomics by switching to the push pull. The gun is almost as big as a spool gun and in my opinion heavier and harder to manipulate due to the heavy "whip". But you get used to it and adapt. My 350p XR-Al. is dedicated only to aluminum so I can't give you any advice on changing over frequently from Al to steel. But I can tell you that its nice to have one machine dedicated to Al and another for steel...Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ja baudin; 02-14-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Quote Originally Posted by jpence38 View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by "main liner" and "internal liner" It has a teflon liner that runs the entire length of the whip and it has about a 6" teflon liner that runs through the head tube.
    I know I am gonna catch **** for suggesting this but there really wouldn't be a need to change liners between wires if this is just gonna be for artwork. Not unless you are planning to weld big aluminum structures that require high quality welds. If you are, then you will need to change liners also. As far as a steel liner, I don't think you can use a steel liner. Just a phos. bronze liner in the head tube.
    You can use a nylon liner for steel, stainless, and aluminum. Just change the wire and the drive rolls.

EDIT: After thinking about it for a minute, I realized that you were probably talking about the cable that the liner runs through between the power pin and the gun.
    Thanks for the reply. Won't I destroy the teflon liners in quick time if I run hard wire through them?

Quote Originally Posted by hyd View Post
    I have a MM 350P setup; mostly do steel art however I would like to be able to do aluminum in pulse mode. My old welder was a hobart ironman that I used with a spoolgun for many aluminum projects--and I must say that I hate spoolguns (can't stand the ergonomics). This is why I am considering the alumapro push/pull setup even though I am not going to do the volume of aluminum work to justify the alumapro package over a 30A spoolgun. Price wise, I figure that if I am going to pay $1000 for a 30A, I might as well pay $1700 for the alumapro...

My question is this, how hard is it to change out the alumapro for aluminum use to use with hardwire. From looking at how this works it seems it will be a matter of 1) changing the spool, 2) changing the 4 drive rollers from U->V groove, 3) changing the main liner from a plastic one to a steel one. Is that it?

Does the gun itself need to be dissassembled to change its internal liner, or is that a fixed liner that will work for hard or soft wire?

I know a simple option would be to just keep my Q-gun and swap out the whole gun and cable when I want to do steel. However, another benefit I see to the alumapro is that I can get a long 35' whip which would REALLY make my life easier (when working both aluminum & steel) due to the size of the projects I often work on.

So any opinions on this? Really just want to get a feel for how much work it will be to convert the XR setup from hard to soft since I may do this a couple times a day.

Thanks for the input.
    You will destroy the Aluma Pro trying to run steel wire through it.

-Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Quote Originally Posted by hyd View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Won't I destroy the teflon liners in quick time if I run hard wire through them?
    No, I run teflon liners in my mig guns that are set up for stainless and they last quite a while.
    JIM

Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Miller Digital Elite

Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post

-Ian
    Destroy the standard liner maybe... not the gun, right? In the alumapro brochure it specifically says its for use on aluminum, steel, stainless, etc, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    You won't destroy anything. But the biggest diameter hard wire you can run through it is .045
    Last edited by jpence38; 02-14-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    JIM

Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Miller Digital Elite

Quote Originally Posted by jpence38 View Post
    You won't destroy anything. But the biggest diameter hard wire you can run through it is .045
    That is correct.

I was thinking XR feeder.

-Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!: