Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Question

Randall

When you guys get done jousting could you post a pic of the hand controller that you are finding disagreeable.... so that one of us might be able to help point you toward something more suitable to your needs??......................

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Welders View Post
    A Weldcraft representative will be in touch with you to discuss the matter further.
    it's obvious from the wording of this email that the legacy torch was not manufactured in appleton, wisconsin. they put their best wordsmith on this job.

the where of its manufacture has been left to the reader's imagination.

to the original OP; quit complaining, opinions about hand controls are like you know what; everyone has one. some of these guys won't be happy till the mfg'r sends a weldor with the machine to do the welding for them.

Default Reminder

Looks like the thread has gotten a little out of hand. Just a reminder that our full terms of use can be found here [http://www.millerwelds.com/about/terms.html]. Personal attacks will be deleted, so let's keep it clean. Any questions can be directed to forum@millerwelds.com.

do you wear a cape?

will exposure to 2% thoriated tungsten prove fatal?

do you have a girlfriend with the initials LL?

or how about an arch enemy; LL

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Allen View Post
    Another useless post. The fingertip controller is inferior, contrary to your declarations otherwise. I suspect you don't have direct knowledge of the particular controller and welder combination or you would have justified a technical opinion contradicting mine rather than submit one based on emotion supported with only personal criticism. And, my skill and dexterity will improve with practice using a better torch. This reminds me of a story where Winston Churchill was supposedly chastised by a woman declaring "Mr. Churchill, you are drunk!" It was reported that he retorted "Yes, I am. And, in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly." I expect my skill and dexterity will improve subject to inherent limitations that you need not concern yourself with.

Otherwise this has been an interesting thread when real advice and comments were offered. Many thanks to all.

Respect those who seek the truth, be wary of those who claim to have found it.
    ----Mark Twain----
    As your claim of an inferior torch is wrong, so are your many suspicions. I use the hand controller with my Dynasty 200 on mobile jobs, regularly. Very succesfully and very profitably!

Griff

My experience says that it's always the newbie, or guy who doesn't know what he's doing in the first place that always blames the equipment.

It's been stated in many threads that a fingertip control can be more difficult to learn the basics of tig with. That's why most will recommend a foot pedal for the new, just learning, guy.

Will be interesting to see how successful the OP is when he tries doing thin SS with his on/off button.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    RC
    in todays economy .....EVERYBODY is more than a little bit testy and more than a few of us can be hair trigger at times..... do not take the banter here personally.... this place is not polished or PC, but usually as a somewhat disharmonious group we manage to resolve most technical issues....

are we getting close to resolving your need for a different control than the one you got?.... if so great... if not... help us out with more detail and direction...
    Hang in there.... and
    Welcome aboard!!!............

BTW...I am still totally in the dark as to what hand control you ended up with as to model or make.... could you post a pic? or give us a model number....??
    I was surprised to see the personal attacks. They serve no purpose except to tickle the egos of those prone to demonstrate their superiority by such behavior. I don't take it personally, but I don't cower from it either.

We have several solutions and I appreciate being able to share the wisdom and experience of others. I can figure out my own limitations regarding skills pretty well without help.

Here is a picture of the controller. Note the on/off switch is at the low current end of the potentiometer like the 1960s transister radio.. It was nearly impossible to move the dial because of its size, the lip that protects it from accidental (and purposeful) movement and the effect of the gloves. The velcro attachments don't help since they slip, but tape would fix that. With the Dynasty 200DX welder a pushbutton would be much more appropriate because of the automated controls once the arc is turned off. Miller has these, but they don't supply them with the kit.

I'll try several options including specific TIG gloves. I think the problem is solved for me, but Miller ought to supply a torch worthy of the price for the package.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll likely have nore questions to ask if the effort is worth the hassle from the critics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Randall
    from what I can see it is a Miller RCCS-14...... I have one... not a bad controller... but maybe hard to learn... that is what some refer to as the north-south type... they also make a RCC-14... referred to as an East-West style...

do not know your tig skill level... but there is definately a learning curve... I personally like the setup of the LS-17.... controller... you get the benefit of both the roller potentiometer control and the button....

do not take any of the razzing to heart...there are a lot of very skilled and knowledgable guys here.... rough edges and all.... if you filter out the excess on some of the responses... you will usually find some sound advice and information.......
    just make like a duck and let it roll off.... but do pay attention to the core message... you will get used to it.... then you will smirk when the next newb strides in and gets the biz....

some of the guys that are percieved as going after you ...... really just want you to learn... and in time you will discover the real depth of their knowledge and experience.....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

and do yourself a favor and get some thin supple tig gloves... it will make a huge difference...... I know that I personally cannot do squat with a tig hand controller if wearing those fat fingered MIG or stick gloves.......

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

H80N's comments are in bold.

Randall
    from what I can see it is a Miller RCCS-14...... I have one... not a bad controller... but maybe hard to learn... that is what some refer to as the north-south type... they also make a RCC-14... referred to as an East-West style...

Maybe for some uses. but I don't need the current control. This dial is really stiff and doesn't lend itself to easy arc control. Multiple partial rotations is a poor substitute for a simple or separate pushbutton. My welding gloves are thick and stiff and surely don't help. I'll fix that tomorrow based on recommendations from some folks here.

do not know your tig skill level... but there is definately a learning curve... I personally like the setup of the LS-17.... controller... you get the benefit of both the roller potentiometer control and the button....

My plans for the Dynasty welder don't require control of the current from the torch. I plan to use its ramp up and down programmed action. I'll work on that later. I'm looking forward to the learning effort. The dynasty welders would look more professional and worthy of the price if the controller offered the same functionality as the LS17R even if it is a strap-on unit.

do not take any of the razzing to heart...there are a lot of very skilled and knowledgable guys here.... rough edges and all.... if you filter out the excess on some of the responses... you will usually find some sound advice and information.......

I can see the experience and wisdom in the technical contributions offered. I am always amazed when folks attack for no constructive purpose in posts completely devoid to technical content. I would think they would have better things to do with their time

just make like a duck and let it roll off.... but do pay attention to the core message... you will get used to it.... then you will smirk when the next newb strides in and gets the biz....

I'll try. It is not instinctive. I'm more inclined to shine a bright light on such behavior in order to illuminate its deficiency with respect to constructive content. Sometimes such illumination makes attackers think about whether the attack will have the desired effect.

some of the guys that are percieved as going after you ...... really just want you to learn... and in time you will discover the real depth of their knowledge and experience....

They may be expert, but any potential career in teaching would likely be short lived. But, other posts and suggestions have been very educational. I thank all of you for that help.
    -----------------------------------
    Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth.
    -- Lillian Hellman