Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Dynasty 200-DX hand control issue

I recently bought a Dynasty 200-DX TIG welder with a thumb control. I find the control useless because it is impossible to rotated the dial to the off position while wearing welding gloves. The dial has a bit of protection in the form of a lip that prevents accidental (and purposeful) rotation of the rather small dial. I would much prefer a simple on/off button and let programmed current ramp-up and ranp-down features work with post-flow gas settings. As it is now, I have to withdraw the torch to extinguish the arc, thus defeating all post-flow settings. Is there a way around this? I see nothing about a pushbutton option on the Miller website. Are there any 3rd party products that will control the Dynasty welder?

Randall

I have been using the ls17 torch with hand control on my Dynasty 200DX for a few years now with no problems...... what type of gloves are you wearing??? I wear thin leather TIG gloves.... if you wear heavy stick welding gloves... you will have more problems than just the hand control... I cannot TIG well wearing the fat fingered ones... I just don't have the feel or sensitivity that I need to do a good job in manipulating the torch and filler with any precision......

The LS17 has the pushbutton as well allowing 2T and 4T operation.... which control do you have??
    Last edited by H80N; 01-30-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: addl info..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Allen View Post
    I recently bought a Dynasty 200-DX TIG welder with a thumb control. I find the control useless because it is impossible to rotated the dial to the off position while wearing welding gloves. The dial has a bit of protection in the form of a lip that prevents accidental (and purposeful) rotation of the rather small dial. I would much prefer a simple on/off button and let programmed current ramp-up and ranp-down features work with post-flow gas settings. As it is now, I have to withdraw the torch to extinguish the arc, thus defeating all post-flow settings. Is there a way around this? I see nothing about a pushbutton option on the Miller website. Are there any 3rd party products that will control the Dynasty welder?

Randall
    Look at this:

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AY14-0.pdf

-Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

I buy these. http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=4901 And just wrap them onto the torch with electrical tape (loosely over the switch). Works great. I also have the cs-310 torch with the built in switch.

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    I have been using the ls17 torch with hand control on my Dynasty 200DX for a few years now with no problems............

The LS17 has the pushbutton as well allowing 2T and 4T operation.... which control do you have??
    Well, you triggered the correct direction of my investigation. Turns out the unit was supplied with a WP-17 and the kludged fingertip controller that doesn't have a pushbutton arc controller. It is a very bad choice for a default torch with this particular welder since the welder would really shine with remote arc control that takes advantage of its features. It was a classic newbie mistake. I hate it when lessons cost money. I count on equipment suppliers to know more about their products than I do at first and to market equipment suitable for its intended use. I don't know how much the supplier lowered the price with that torch choice just to have a better sticker price, but it isn't appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. They helped.

Randall

RC_Allen,

Did you really expect Miller (or any manufacturer) to "spoon feed" you on what you needed prior to buying a welder?

Most people do their "homework" before making a purchase. If memory serves me correct, Miller does offer an option of a foot pedal in a package deal.

There have been many posts on the benefits of hand/finger tip controls vs the pedal. Neither is "the best" for all applications. Personally, I have a fingertip control, a simple on/off button, and a foot control, and use them all in certain applications.

If you're looking for someone to "blame", then you need to look no further than the mirror in the bathroom.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Hey Randall,

give these 2 places a call

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/sho...cytigtorch.cfm

http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...727_20_809_810

I've ordered from both and they provide great customer service over the Phone, if needed.

Looks like BR packages the Dynasty with that Torch

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/sho...echnology-.cfm
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Allen View Post

Randall
    Hi Randall.

I have had that same exact problem in the past. The small rotary dial just is too dainty for my fingers.

I chose the standard aircooled WP17 torch, but bought direct from CKworldwide their rotary belt arc start/amp finger controller. It velcros onto your handle, and comes with left or right hand covers. The potentiometer is rated for 1000 arc starts, and can be bought as a replacement when needed. When I am using the foot control, I strip the finger controler away or just work with it velcroed. This is the only one that works for me as I am getting older and stiffer in the fingers.

http://www.ckworldwide.com/amperage_controls.htm

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shovelon; 01-31-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: old
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

That LS-17 takes a little bit of getting used to but once you get used to it... it is very slick... especially in tight and awkward places...

the manual for it STILL does not appear to be online yet..... I have sent them numerous emails over the last couple of years....

but

here is the document number for it...

OM-235 816A/multi 2007-12

maybe they can email it to you... if you can wake anybody over there... they build great product but their people are not terribly responsive.....
    it is an ITW company... so the lack of enthusiasm is surprising...
    sent them another email about it today....

here is the contact link

http://www.weldcraft.com/contact-us/

ADDITIONALLY: I had been hoping that they would introduce an "LS-20" water cooled version of it.... they would sell a million of them.... but so far my inquiries on that whole line has met deaf ears....
    would not take a brain surgeon to flip the parts around at the factory.... but so far no interest..............

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

SundownIII's tirade is underlined:

Did you really expect Miller (or any manufacturer) to "spoon feed" you on what you needed prior to buying a welder?

No, but I wouldn't expect to buy a car unseen and discover you steer it with a joy stick after reading the manufacturer supplies a "road-hugging steering system". If you consider a detailed explanation with pictures or detailed specs "spoon feeding", you are sadly mistaken. I don't expect them to state in their specs that the controller is low-cost junk. I do think their interests are better served if they supplied a Weldcraft LS-1725R and add the incremental cost to the price. It would be an impressive combination compared to their competition in the form of Chinese units that do come with a pushbutton.

Most people do their "homework" before making a purchase. If memory
    serves me correct, Miller does offer an option of a foot pedal in a
    package deal.

SundownIII's memory serves him well, though his reasoning took the wrong fork in the road. Folks evaluate and solve problems based on their knowledge and experience, combined with imagination and reasoning skills. Those able to focus on the problem's inherent characteristics usually do a better job developing a solution than those whose thinking drifts toward previous solutions for other problems. SundownIII's reasoning efforts would be better served by dealing with the original issue rather than embarassing himself by changing the problem to fit the only solution he knows. I could be missing both feet (fortunately not the case) or be planning to weld from a short step ladder (the case). I'll get a foot controller when and if the need arises - not because a stranger thinks I should have bought one. Regarding "homework", Miller does not provide details of the fingertip controller where they offer sales information intended to attract customers. NOWHERE do they say there is no pushbutton for arc on/off, yet they offer such pushbuttons separately. My beef is that the Dynasty 200 DX welder is a top-end welder in terms of cost and features. It deserves a decent torch with appropriate arc controls to support the features of the welder.

There have been many posts on the benefits of hand/finger tip controls
    vs the pedal. Neither is "the best" for all applications. Personally, I
    have a fingertip control, a simple on/off button, and a foot control,
    and use them all in certain applications.

He has a pushbutton? That's what I wanted! It makes one wonder why the sarcastic remark about foot controllers and personal attacks. Then again, declaring familiarity with both might be intended to add credibility to the solution suggested. It didn't work for me.

If you're looking for someone to "blame", then you need to look no further than the mirror in the bathroom.

SundownIII incorrectly thinks I am looking for someone to blame for me being unaware Miller supplies an inferior fingertip controller (no button) with an otherwise excellent welder. Had he understood my post, I asked for suggestions regarding workarounds and opined that the controller supplied is useless under a gloved hand. My intent was to warn anyone considering this welder with a finger control to plan on replacing the standard controller with another available from miller or a 3rd party.

SundownIII, take a pill. There is no need to be annoying if you read a criticism of a piece of equipment and have nothing to offer in the way of a solution. Just move on to the next post. Tirades against newcomers isn't what the forum is for, and it doesn't advance your role as a go-to guy when advice is needed. Perhaps you were out of character in this case, but on the day one throws rocks in the glass house, he defines the destiny of the glass house for the days following.

Many thanks to folks who offered technical solutions rather than suggestions involving mirrors. I bought an LS-1725R yesterday and it solved the problem. Its fingertip controller is designed with welding gloves in mind. I'll buy the switch recommended and retrofit the original torch so I'll have a spare.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
    -- Mark Twain