Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Another Syncrowave 180 SD Problem Thread! No Amperage Control!

Well I was just going to buy a new Diversion 180 but I found a good deal on this syncrowave 180 sd and decided to buy it even with the known problems of the boards going out. This one with only 16 hours on it and is a 04 model looks to have the common board failure.

I come home with it after testing fine before I bought it and wired a new plug at the end since the previous owner had it hard wired. So I turn the machine on today and turn it to DCEN, put a new tungsten in freshly ground, and start to weld 1/8 mild steel plate. Im set at 120 on the amperage and start to weld. NOPE. All I get it HF start and thats it no amperage control. Machine says 120 still with moving the pedal to all of the way either direction. I switch to my finger control and same results. Also I heard the HF kinda cutting in and out in the machine so I pull the side cover off and look and it is kinda sputtering during HF start. Also Voltage says 14.7 when hf comes on and does not move with pedal. Not sure what is going on here but sounds like a bad board. And I checked the gaps and they were good. Inside of the machine is very clean and no noticable problems.

Any ideas on what to check or test?
    Last edited by 417Diver; 01-27-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Was messing with it again and found the gas was not flowing to the cup either. Wow. 16 hours on this machine and its so messed up I could only imagine what happens at 100 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 417Diver View Post
    I could only imagine what happens at 100 hours.
    I am sure we will get to hear about that too...

16 hours huh, how many cycles?

checking cycles. I am assuming that the hours/minutes are not the actual time on the machine and the cycles are?
    Last edited by 417Diver; 01-27-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
    I am sure we will get to hear about that too...
    Thanks for being a smart ass...

Thanks for being a smart ass...

Perhaps, but I do think that your original post is presumptuous at the very least based on what you think are the facts concerning this unit.

Well the fact is that the machine is inoperative. This seems to be very common for the syncrowaves and maybe I was incorrect on the timer but I still have the right to be upset over the quality of these machines. Maybe if someone gave me a suggestion on what steps to take to fix it I would be in a better mood about the situation. I have read the other posts about checking if the machine will stick and to replace the Halls Device but I am just wanting to know if there are any other things I should look for. Anyways I will just take the machine to airgas Monday and enjoy the bill when I get it.

Thanks for the HELP!

Cycles 002 237
    Last edited by 417Diver; 01-28-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Cycles 002 237

So, you want to claim that your machine was cycled 2237 times for the 16 hours it operated in the past 7 to 8 years for an average cycle time of approximately 26 seconds?

Also, explain to us in detail how you checked this unit out by "testing" it and why you changed your mind on the purchase of a brand new Diversion when you claimed you knew that this Syncrowave wasn't a quality buy?

I am very interested in your claim that you want help in fixing this but you have also claimed to know what is wrong with the unit any way. Perplexing, isn't it?
    Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 01-28-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Misspelled Diversion...LOL

Serial # perhaps would be helpfull