Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Trip to the scrap yard

Went to the scrap yard yesterday morning to see if they had anything interesting. I saw they had several pieces of round tubing 2'' solid stainless steel. There's probably 12-15 pieces of it in various lenghts from 3' to 10'. All the metal at the scrap yard sells for .030/lbs. I didn't pick any of it up yet, thought i'd ask if any of you have ideas for this stuff ?

2" SS is going to be hard to work with if you are not set up for it. if you have a use for it, its a great price but without a use in mind it could be more trouble than its worth.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

.030/lb is obviously a mistake. 3 cents a pound?

30 cents a pound for 2" stainless solids is a **** of a deal. I'd actually be interested in some of those if there was a cheap way to get them here.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Went to the scrap yard yesterday morning to see if they had anything interesting. I saw they had several pieces of round tubing 2'' solid stainless steel. There's probably 12-15 pieces of it in various lenghts from 3' to 10'. All the metal at the scrap yard sells for .030/lbs. I didn't pick any of it up yet, thought i'd ask if any of you have ideas for this stuff ?

Off the top of my head, I cant think of anything but at 3 cents or 30 cents a pound, that is one heck of a price. Buy $20 worth if you have the room and stock it. You may not have a use for it now but 5 years down the road, you'll say, dang, I should have bought that SS.

I just recently used a 1 foot piece I had laying around for at least 10 years. Maybe I'm tight but it pays off in the long run.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

last time i heard of pieces of stainless that size and length in a scrap yard is when they were stolen from our shop.....just sayin...anyway-solid makes for good adjustable legs fer alot of things. cut a piece at inch and a half run some threads through it weld it inside a piece of 2 1/4 schedule pipe. then take some threaded rod that matches +weld a piece of the 2 inch solid by half inch thick and yer set.

took longer to type that than it would to fab

I use stuff all the time that I hung onto for years. You gotta have stock....altho I would recommend getting the normal stuff before you lay in the weird stuff.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    I use stuff all the time that I hung onto for years. You gotta have stock....altho I would recommend getting the normal stuff before you lay in the weird stuff.
    Whats normal in a welding shop ?
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    Whats normal in a welding shop ?
    Some flat stock and angle and channel and pipe etc.....
    But 2" solid stainless would be WAY down on my list...like NEVER
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Bob had the best idea: eBay or Craigslist!!! Then use the money to buy more welding equipment!!!
    GOOD LUCK and tell us if you bought it all!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    Off the top of my head, I cant think of anything but at 3 cents or 30 cents a pound, that is one heck of a price. Buy $20 worth if you have the room and stock it. You may not have a use for it now but 5 years down the road, you'll say, dang, I should have bought that SS.

I just recently used a 1 foot piece I had laying around for at least 10 years. Maybe I'm tight but it pays off in the long run.
    3 cents a pound is impossible, even for mild steel...

I sell steel/ stainless to the scrapyards all the time. East coast rate (what a scrap yard buys it for) is 9 cents per pound steel 10 cents per pound cast iron
    50 cents per pound aluminum or stainless, which is going up soon.

Now, when I need something and buy it back, usually steel is 12-15 cents per pound, and stainless is 75 cents per pound. I think you might have been mistaken at 3 cents per pound.... if not let me know where the place is, i'll take a roadtrip and stock up!!!! Here comes the dumptrailer...
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)