Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding Safety + Stainless

1) My left hand, with welding shirt and glove on

2) Left arm n shirt, no glove, watch on

3) Back of watch is stainless steel, at the end of the pencil is a splatter that is about the size of the head of a straight pin and it is WELDED tot he back of the watch!!!

4-5) different views of weld.

How did a droplet of weld from my MIG get past my shirt and inside my guantlet glove and behind my watch???? Dunno, but it sure did and it was hot enought to not only burn me but weld itself to the back of the watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet

thats an odd one .
    ...but you know how they get past safety gear and into odd places

my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Quote Originally Posted by welderman23 View Post
    thats an odd one .
    ...but you know how they get past safety gear and into odd places

Yes and that is really the point I am making...When I was in Vietnam I got a new guy assigned to me. After a few nights we were out on a point on the perimeter keeping watch. He asked me "what is the wizzing sound like a bumble bee I hear?" I said it common we are getting a few shots at us from way out past the rice paddies in front.

I could see the whites of his eyes suddenly and he said "shouldn't you be ducking?" I said its not the ones you hear that kill you and by the time you have heard it whiz by its long gone.

And that is sorta the way we need to think about safety. It frequently not the obvious that gets in trouble.
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet

No matter how careful you are and how much protection you use, accidents still happen. I am walking proof.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Thumbs up

Good camera too!!!!!
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Slightly Off Topic, but Thank You for photographing, and documenting, proper welding equipment - ie - Long sleeved denim shirt and gauntlet style gloves.

Many of our younger members could use these images to motivate them to practice safety, and maybe not follow in the path of all the clowns off TV that do not.

Just my $.02
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

I would guess if they didn't burn thru the shirt then it went thru the cuff split.
    I like my leathers but I usually gotta get a few burns like that before I drag 'em out.
    Thanks for sharing your vietnam story BTW and thanks for putting yourself in harms way

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird455 View Post
    Good camera too!!!!!
    Thank you...It is a camera fone! 5 MegaPixel with Carl Ziess lens, fully featured. Oh and yes its a fone too...Nokia N95

Follow up: As all can see there is a weldment on the inside of my watch and of course a burn on the back of my hand. Upon closer examination of the weld, this newbie to the welding world finds that indeed this is one of his BEST looking welds. Further inspection concludes that not only does it look good but there in no porosity, undercutting and I have excellent penetration. In fact I had to GRIND it off

This has led me to the development of a new technique in welding called Splatter welding. You take the piece to be welded and lay it in an out of the way place and then just weld any piece of metal. The splatter will magically be welded.

One day while in class in Army muntions I was at the station where the Light Anti-tank Weapons System (LAWS) was being taught. The instructor showed its operation and prepped for fire. He stated the the projectile has a killing radius of approx 35 meters.

He then instructed the group the clear for firing and to get slightly back and to his sides. The he stated the killing radius for the back blast was up to 100 meters.

I raised my hand and the Sgt said yes, you have a question? I said it seems to me we are shooting it in the wrong direction! Everybody laughed at that.

Thanks for all of your comments.
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet

Thanks for telling that it was your camera phone and the model. Pics were EXCELLENT!!!! How much did you pay for it? I'm looking for a camera phone, mines is too crappy, after I paid big bucks for it 2 years ago!!!
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Thanks for telling that it was your camera phone and the model. Pics were EXCELLENT!!!! How much did you pay for it? I'm looking for a camera phone, mines is too crappy, after I paid big bucks for it 2 years ago!!!
    bert
    Bert,
    My wife gave it to me for Christmas this year. I had a Nokia N80 with the 3 MP camera and was very pleased with it. The N95 8GB has raised the bar for cameras and fones. The fone has a FM radio, Bluetooth, WiFi, plays music and almost every feature you can think of. And it that is not enough, it has a secondary video camera for fon conferencing.

I use it extensively in my website and just do not want the headache and hassle of hauling a fone and a camera with me.

There are 2 models the N95 8GB and the N95. Mine is the N95 8GB, meaning it has 8 Gigabytes internal memory. Meaning you can take over 1000 pics of the type I posted here and I think it will hold as many songs.

My wife got it on sale for Christmas at www.macmall.com for I am thinking around $570.

ATT&T/Singluar is the carrier and they sell it. That said I RECOMMEND you buy it offline "unlocked" unless you are a buy and keep it till it becomes the equal of a tin can and a string technically. My wife and I are both engineers and we do LOVE our gadgets so we buy often in this space. My wife is from Europe and her family is there so we have stuff that works outside of the US. The N95 8GB is a "global smartfone".

For what the N95 offers and does it is a excellent value and if your criteria is a global fone, Very high quality fotos on a feature rich platform then the N95 8GB is worth your investment.

http://www.nokiausa.com/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_358159

Let me know what you do.
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    DeWalt Chop Saw