Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frame plating

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    It's not an aircraft or pressure vessel but still carry around a car or a pick up truck on public road. The DOT here are pretty picky on frame mods of commercial vehicule.
    Different area different rules.
    The vehicle is NOT a commercial vehicle. It's not used for commercial towing, only repo work. The capacity is only 3500 lbs. On most 'commercial trucks' the frames are heat treated and I won't weld on them This is a whole different ball game.

Sorry, I didn't know repo business wasn't considered commercial. Around here this would be fresh meat for the DOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Sorry, I didn't know repo business wasn't considered commercial. Around here this would be fresh meat for the DOT.
    That's ok, Daniel. Although these rigs don't fall under commercial guidelines (most of them) they should. This particular rig is only rated for 3500 lbs, but they haul much heavier...

Quote Originally Posted by 1930case View Post
    Thousands of wheel lifts, wrecker masts, winches, accessories and beds have been mounted and their parent vehicles modified successfully without engineering approvals. It's not an aircraft or a pressure vessel.

Light-duty wheel lifts aren't particularly hard on a truck. That install has Timbren load boosters which take a lot of load off the spring perches.

(The other classic mod is overload leaf springs which stay in light contact with modified contact points (usually a piece of square tubing tacked to the tab to bridge the gap) so that any squat immediately engages the overload. That can be used with or without Timbrens.)

Looks good.
    i would have to agree. i worked in a welding shop/ truck equipment shop for years fabricating all sorts of equipment,dump trucks, roll offs, shortening and lenghtening trucks. never had anything engineered. never heard anything from dot or any others.

Default pa weldor

hey paweldor are you paul the gas pipe welder?

Quote Originally Posted by cayager View Post
    hey paweldor are you paul the gas pipe welder?
    Sorry, I'm not that guy. Never did any pipeline welding. Have done lots of industrial stuff. On my rig (before I semi-retired) I had a Lincoln SA200, Miller AEAD200LE, Miller spool gun, and Miller Hi-Freq. Don't do any portable work anymore, just in shop.