Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: miller 140

although the price will probably shy you away, needing 120V for little stuff and 240V for the trailer. the better option would be the passport+ or the DVI 2
    they would allow you to run on 120V for the smaller stock but still have the option for 240V and some real amp's for the trailer.
    if thats out of your budget. look again closely at the HH187 and a decent extension cord to get you full time use of the 240V plug.
    dabar39 is spot on. a 120V welder is not a good option for building trailers. and the little 100amp option is even worse. pick up a HH187 and spend a little $ to make up a good extension cord to allow you access to the 240V power for all your welding. you will be glad you did.
    some how i missed the trailer part of your post. just thought traps and cages was the plan.
    Last edited by fun4now; 02-24-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

so just to clarify, if i were to use the Auto set feature on a miller 140, the only time i can use those diameter wires i would need to run it with gas? regular fluxcore wires will have to be dialed in correctly? Do you think the Auto set feature on a 140 is worth spending the extra $$, if i wont be running any gas this early in the game? I think 3/16 mild steel is the max i will be going at this point. i no longer have any interest in trying to make trailers, if i have to i may just use one of my friends migs with those projects. i will most defintly be using it to make hog traps though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The Auto-set feature is for solid wire applications with an .023 or .030 wire. No auto set for fluxcore. 3/16" and 1/4" with a 120 volt unit are fluxcore applications, running multiple passes.

HH140

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6073_200306073

459.00 Free shipping

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/

You can search over on Hobart to see how good the HH140 is- as far as 120v machines go.

Good bang for the buck.

Miller and Hobart are owned by the same Company

If you really want something in Blue order a Miller Hood

Lots of good replies here. If you go ahead and get the Miller you will have the BEST 115v mig machine made...no doubt. Maybe not the best bang per buck but certainly the best made.
    Then after using that machine you will either love it and use it forever or move into a bigger machine. By buying a Miller product you a insuring that it will always sell if need be and bring top dollar at the same time.
    You will also be getting about as close to an american made machine as you can get also and be helping out your American brothers. Not saying Hobart and Lincoln are not American made just saying I know Miller is.

BTW I had a Lincoln SP-135 plus and was NOT happy with the weld performance. I know many love them and I really don't expect a little mig to fill my needs. I looked for about a year at smaller migs and wanted a HH210 untill Miller came out with the Passport Plus, then I got way too confused
    I like Fun's advice tho...get the HH187 for the same money and make a cord and trust me buddy you will NOT regret getting the extra power. Cords are cheap...reworking crappy welds is not.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Fusion,

What other 120v machine did you compare the Lincoln against?

Just curious as I have the SP135 + and it does everything a 120v machine can handle
    I have run a HH 135, A Miller 135 and a Lincoln 100 HD - all these 120v machines perform just fine at what they are designed to do.

Hobart, Miller and Lincoln all have parts outsourced and assembled here in the USA

this was probably the most noticeable of the upgrades miller's MM135 had over the others. miller was the only one to use aluminum here. wile I'm shore the plastic option is nice and may require abuse to break, there were reports of lincolns breaking. i have not heard of any of the millers having that problem. not that i intend to abuse my MM135 but i have used it hard over the last 6 or 7 years. and intend to continue to do so far many more without worry due to the little upgrades. i thought it was worth spending the extra $$ over the other brands. never regretted my choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    this was probably the most noticeable of the upgrades miller's MM135 had over the others. miller was the only one to use aluminum here. choice.
    Miller was not the only one Lincoln SP plus models did as well

Once again the MM135/ MM140 needs to be compared against the Lincoln SP 135 Plus and the Power Mig 140C

Both of these 2 Brands are priced accordingly

The HH140 can go up against the Lincoln Power Mig 140 T and Pro Mig 140

Default Lincoln model numbers

Model numbers on Lincoln's small machines, at least, are a mess, so any confusion would be understandable. I got disgusted when I was trying to understand their price/features/quality, and started looking at Hobart and Miller. With the Lincoln placements in Lowes and Home Depot, they might have had me, if they'd have laid everything out straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Miller was not the only one Lincoln SP plus models did as well

Once again the MM135/ MM140 needs to be compared against the Lincoln SP 135 Plus and the Power Mig 140C

Both of these 2 Brands are priced accordingly

The HH140 can go up against the Lincoln Power Mig 140 T and Pro Mig 140

Quote Originally Posted by EdZep View Post
    Model numbers on Lincoln's small machines, at least, are a mess, so any confusion would be understandable. I got disgusted when I was trying to understand their price/features/quality, and started looking at Hobart and Miller. With the Lincoln placements in Lowes and Home Depot, they might have had me, if they'd have laid everything out straight.
    No doubt- I had the same confusion so I just called Lincoln directly- and my LWS is really cool so they didn't try to sell me anything.

Way too many models but I suppose they don't mind since HD and Lowes stocks em' and eventually move them off the shelf.

The Crazy Model was the SP 135 T- same dern thing as the ones sold at Box Store but was only sold at LWS's and for about 100 bux more.

Anyhoo- Miller, Hobart, & Lincoln in this class is fine by me.

(Caution one guys opinion to follow. Read at you own risk and sign the waver first) If you are just starting out why not look for and purchase a good used Miller 130, 140 or a 220V if you have the power. I see them selling for far less than new from time to time. The 120 volt units are often purchased by weekend welders and get little hard use. They often get sold when the guy ether moves to a larger machine or realises that some other hobby is calling. Get a Good 120V for the cost of a crappy no name import, have fun, learn to weld a little, or learn that it is not for you and get most or all of your money back if you sell it. I landed my MM251 with 3 mig guns, a 40 foot ex cord and 99% of a big spool of .035 for $600. Came with 5 pounds of free red clay dust too. Spent an afternoon taking it apart and cleaning it out. Looks like new except that the last guy liked to set stuff on top of it and scuffed the paint some.

I don't see the burning need for Auto Set. Lets be real, the welder has only 2 knobs, heat and feed speed. Check the chart inside the door, set the knobs in the middle of the recomendations and tweek to suit.

One feature of the 140 over other 120V units is being able to run a small home grade spool gun. That looks to be a better feature than having the "Popcorn" button on the little blue microwave. YMMV.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.