Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: miller 140

Default miller 140

I know that the question i ask will be a totaly biased one "since the question is on a Miller a forum" but with all honesty How much better is a Miller 140 with Auto set compared to a lincoln or hobart of equal power. The reason i am asking is......i am interested in a mig 110volt, that i can use to fabricate hog traps and small utility trailers. i dont plan on doing any heavy metal work just the occasional weekender. Probably the largest steel that i may be using is 3/16 and maybe "rarely" 1/4" mild steel. I just want a small unit that will last me for years, has a good service warranty and has the capability of making welding easy like the Auto set feature found on the Miller. I am more set towards getting a miller but on another forum they are suggesting other and Lincoln and Hobart are one of the top named. any suggestions guys. thanks

its a chevy ford thing. some prefer some wile others prefer the other.
    when i was looking for my 120V MIG i looked closely at the miller, hobart, and lincoln 135 (all were 135's at the time) i noticed some small upgrades in quality in the miller. like aluminum wheel latch instead of plastic for the other guys. my gut told me to go with Miller and looking closer just reinforced that. all would get the job done and most likely all would still be running if i had chosen differently. it really comes down to the options you want in the welder and what will help ya sleep at night. if you just want simple, like the auto set. then get the Miller and never look back. 7 years from now it will still be going strong and the extra $100 will mean nothing. 10 years later even less. my MM135 is 7 years old and works as nice today as it did the day i got it. i have no regrets about the little extra $ i spent. many will tell you the same about there Hobart's and lincolns. odds are good if you stick to a name brand you will be fine. if ya like the auto set and thing its worth the extra $$ to get it, then go for it. if saving a few $'s is the top priority, get what you want to spend. decide if you are choosing by $$ or by options and buy accordingly.

I'm very happy with my MM135 and suspect you will be just as happy with the new MM140.
    you may be pushing its capability's a bit, you may want to look a bit closer at a 240V welder if its possible.

good to have ya with us on the forem, hope ya stick around. lots of good info here to be shared.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I don't understand the Auto set feature- sure it will make it easier to dial in the setting but you still have to be able to make a sound weld.

...and really, how freakin' hard was/ is it to look at the door chart

maybe they are designed for the new work force with limited English skills.

Why the 120v Size? $$?

A MM140 w. auto set is 650.00

A Hobart Handler 187 is 675.00

http://store.cyberweld.com/migwelders.html

Last edited by Broccoli1; 02-23-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Please don't even think about building trailers or anything else structural with a small unit like that. Spend the extra money and buy a machine that is more capable to do the work you describe. I just don't think that machine will do well on items such as trailers, where others lives may depend on it as it's going down the road. I think this machine would be fine for your traps but not much more. I'm sure I may get some flack for this but this is only my opinion, nothing more. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

well as far as the 120 volt size, i am currently renting an extension from the main house the amount of 230volt outlets is very limited as well as the area around the home that i can actually do projects.
    At the beginning i was goind to purchase a Lincoln 100hd "100amps", but my friend who used to do alot of wielding highly recommend a Miller brand because of its durability and reputation as being the "BEST".
    Well...i went to a local welding distributor and checked out the products between the 2 units. At the retail store there was a comparison chart between the 2 units i was looking at "miller 140 and the Lincoln 100HD", as i compared the 2 it seemed that my friend was right! certain parts well actually alot of parts where either plastic, not built strong enough, more rollers vs less, e.t.c. on the Lincoln, so now i have built up enough doubts about the Lincoln that i no longer want to purchase the darn thing, but after reading several posts on this site and other forums i can no longer make up my mind! It seems that; although Miller has some added benefits "auto set" it doesnt really make much of a difference "although the amp output of the Lincoln is still unappealing" . Do you think that spending the extra $$ for the bells and whistles will be worth it for me in the long run? now the tossup between which brand is Hobart and Miller

You really can't compare the Miller 140 to a Lincoln 100hd

the true comparison is between the
    MM140 Auto Set and the Lincoln Power Mig 140 C (not the T)

just curious....miller 180 230 volts, if i were to weld 3/16 steel can i use the basic 115 outlet? i know that 5/16 will definetly require a 230 outlet. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freakon View Post
    just curious....miller 180 230 volts, if i were to weld 3/16 steel can i use the basic 115 outlet? i know that 5/16 will definetly require a 230 outlet. thanks
    The MM180 won't run off a 120 volt input. As advertised, it requires a 230V input.

The Auto-set feature is for solid wire applications with an .023 or .030 wire. No auto set for fluxcore. 3/16" and 1/4" with a 120 volt unit are fluxcore applications, running multiple passes.