Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

i cut alot of barrels at work, used to fight them and worry about the big bang. then i spent 20 bucks at wally world on a stanly air hammer, came with a cool little chisel for sheet metal. I use that onall of em now

You need to remove the bung in the top for starters. This will act as a chimney for youe bbq, second fill it with water and get asmuch oil out as possible, then fill it with water again and cut into it. but you must remove the bung from the top!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonsam View Post
    I'm looking to make some cuts in a 55 gallon oil drum and I'm trying to avoid getting blown up.

First of all the drum is closed end with two bungs (one large, one small). From what I can tell it had almond oil in it before I picked it up. There is some remaining oil in the bottom.

I want to cut a door in the side of the drum and turn it into a bbq. I'm probably going to use abrasive cutoff disks in my angle grinder so there will be a lot of sparks and I'm worried about igniting the oil in a confined space.

Does anyone have any advice for cleaning the barrel out or any other suggestions for how I should go about doing this? Thanks.

The only real safe way is to fill with an inert gas(argon) but that is expensive so i would use water and dish detergent

Quote Originally Posted by Amdrewa95 View Post
    The only real safe way is to fill with an inert gas(argon) but that is expensive so i would use water and dish detergent
    This thread was started in 2008. Is anyone still looking at it?
    I guess so..... I just did.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    This thread was started in 2008. Is anyone still looking at it?
    I guess so..... I just did.
    The only thing that changes is the date. The info is still the same ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Not a drum but still went BOOM

MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Cool

Sad but it happens and shouldn't of. Thanks for posting the link....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

the water is the best bet for this solution. lay the barrel on its side and make your cut. i have made cuts in barrels that had gasoline and diesel in them and i had no problems. just be sure to fill the barrel right to the point were you will be making the cuts. keep it simple.

Default Oil drum cutting

http://www.intelligencer.ca/2012/10/01/students-death-to-be-probed-by-coroners-inquest

Link to above post site.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.