Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Cool

Plus a saw has some sparking going on inside the motor with the brushes at least every one i ever ran did. It isn't safe in a vapor area...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Build bonfire pile, throw de-bunged barrel onto it, light pile so you can take cover before it hits barrel, cook barrel.

Retrieve toasted barrel next day. It's gonna be heated anyway, and fire is a fine cleanser.
    Last edited by 1930case; 07-02-2011 at 03:59 PM.

I needed to repair a gas tank off my tractor. Flushed with water adn soap twice, rinsed couple more times, put about a gallon of water in 15 gallon tank, added several pounds of dry ice.

Water + dry ice means nice fog coming out holes. Brazed safely.

Yeah, did it outdoors and waited until fog was slowing down, then tested with long match before I got any closer.

For cutting barrels I'd use a jig saw at slow speed to avoid sparks/heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
    I needed to repair a gas tank off my tractor. Flushed with water adn soap twice, rinsed couple more times, put about a gallon of water in 15 gallon tank, added several pounds of dry ice.

Water + dry ice means nice fog coming out holes. Brazed safely.

Yeah, did it outdoors and waited until fog was slowing down, then tested with long match before I got any closer.

For cutting barrels I'd use a jig saw at slow speed to avoid sparks/heat.
    You tested it with a long match ???
    Next time, steam clean it with a degreaser for a while, then purge it and fill it up with inert gas.

I like the air saw method. No sparks and you can run it under a shower of water. The only downside to the air saw is the vibration. Run a 24-32 TPI blade, don't force it and all will be fine.

Same thing with an air cut-off wheel. Cut the drum when full of water. Zero chance of explosion as the air inside is displaced.

Yes, your tools will get wet. Spray down with WD-40 and dry in the sun. As long as you keep the air flowing, it won't get inside the tool.

Rip an oak 2x4 down it's center 12" or so > than the length of the barrel. Nail a length of baling wire 2" or so past the end of the ripped slot.

Saw / grind thru the bung at both ends of barrel, drill 3/8 hole thru each top under each sawn bung, pull wire thru barrel with stiff rod or wire, wrap end of wire around two hand handle, butt end of barrel against the corner of a building or backhoe bucket or dozer blade etc., have a friend hold other end of barrel down & place wire in open end of slot & open like a can of sardines by sharply pulling wire toward butted end of barrel.

This is how we did BBQ barrels when I was in high school.

Default Big Pipe Wrench

The top of a barrel can be cut out with a big pipe wrench and sledge hammer.
    Put the edge of the top jaw of the pipe wrench near the rim edge. Hit the pipe wrench jaw with the sledge hammer. The jaw will cut the top out just like a big can opener would open the top. This method is used in the drilling industry. It is still best to fill with water before cutting the top out.
    Home Machine Shop

pour some in a container and use an infrared thermometer and slowly heat it till it starts to smoke.

#2 option fill with water and then cut top off ( above water line). With no top even if you cut someone else say in the the middle it won't explode it might flame up....

the water is the best bet for this solution. lay the barrel on its side and make your cut. i have made cuts in barrels that had gasoline and diesel in them and i had no problems. just be sure to fill the barrel right to the point were you will be making the cuts. keep it simple.

Default Food grade

I made my bbq out of 55 gal. drum that had FOOD GRADE mineral oil, filled with water and soap, emptied it then cut with my41/2" grinder with cut off wheel
    Attached Images Attached Images