MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

You also need to consider that as the angle of cut increases, the capacity decreases.

In other words, a 5"x5" bandsaw may cut 4"x4" material at 90deg and not cut the same material at 45deg.

Not sure how many "cold cut" saws you've used, but the kerf on those I've used is very comparable to the kerf on a "dry cut" saw. In fact, seems to me the blades on a cold cut saw are normally a little thicker than on a dry cut saw.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

I've used a penzolli (sp?) cold saw and a dewalt dry saw. The angle capacity drops on any saw you use so that is irrellivant. That capacity of even the smallest bandsaw, the 5x9 is still greater than the largest,14", cold saw I have looked at. I am not sold on the bandsaw you but I am leaning towards it as it is the only true competitor I have seen for the cold saw.
    2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    25' Hydraulic Tilt Lowboy Gooseneck
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Millermatic 251 with 30A spoolgun
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

And the kerf of the dry saw was greater, so noisy, and had nibbler like shavings flung everywhere.
    Last edited by Joey-D; 01-08-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

What kind of material will you be cutting? Reason i ask is the band saw will cut a wide spectrum of material, wall thickness etc with the same blade and you can just vary the feed rate by the downfeed cylinder. With a cold saw, you need to match your blade to material to ensure adequate tooth engagement. Too many teeth and your cut speed is slower and blade wear is faster so you resharpen more often. Too few of teeth and you can easily take a tooth off and while it can be retoothed, the cost goes from about $14 to resharpen to $40 to retooth. Worst case scenario, you snag a tooth and shatter the blade. ( this traditionally happens on a Friday, with many cuts left, no spare blade and the project is due first thing Monday) been there done that twice, each time I got lazy and didnt change the blade for one oddball piece of material. At roughly $160 a blade, it is an expensive lesson.

I primarily use my Scotchman cold saw but keep my band saw for angle iron, C channel and a Milwaukee dry cut saw for quick cuts.

You are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as quality, Grizzly isn't exactly known for longevity or quality where as most cold saws are proven designs.

If I was cutting the same material all the time, I'd opt for the cold saw

For varied material, I'd go band saw, Ellis would be my first choice, if you are willing to drop $2500 on a cold saw, the Ellis is in that range

I'm assuming you are looking at a manual cold saw. Typical downfeed pressure is around 90#, if you have 100+ cuts to make, it's gonna get tiring, bandsaws you set the hydraulic downfeed, get the cut started and let the gravity do the work.

Lots of things to consider
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    You also need to consider that as the angle of cut increases, the capacity decreases.

In other words, a 5"x5" bandsaw may cut 4"x4" material at 90deg and not cut the same material at 45deg.

Not sure how many "cold cut" saws you've used, but the kerf on those I've used is very comparable to the kerf on a "dry cut" saw. In fact, seems to me the blades on a cold cut saw are normally a little thicker than on a dry cut saw.
    cold saws suffer the same fate on angle cuts regarding capacity, Different brands cut larger or smaller. After a fair amount of research, the Scotchman 350 (14") was the only brand that had the capacity to cut 4" square tubing on a 45

2.5mm and 3mm are usually the blade thickness on cold saws. 3 mm is stiffer and more accurate but cut speed is slower
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty

I've pretty much decided I am going to by the grizzly g0613. It's the capacity that sold me. Heard nothing but good things about the saw. It is liquid cooled too. My biggest gripe is the size. Wall to front is 63" inches.
    2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

If you do portable work...
    The Milwaukee portable bandsaw is pretty useful.... with a little practice you can make very accurate cuts..... if not now maybe in the future...
    Milwaukee Electric Tools 495-6236N 4 7-8 Inch Deep Cut Bandsaw

milwaukee.jpg

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Has anyone heard of Accura saw? I stumbled across this one. Never heard of the company and can't find any info on them, but the saw capacity is 1 3/4" on round stock and 1/4" better on 60* angles. It is also a variable speed blade. Few hundred more plus shipping. I'm still thinking the grizzly, especially since there is supposed to 10% coupon when my catalog does finally come, but this had caught my attention.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...S:1123#vi-desc
    2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

To follow up on this thread I ended up buying the Grizzly G0613 Swivel Head Band Saw. Holy ****, I should have done this years ago. Best $1614.25 I have ever spent. It so quiet, so precise, can cut such amazing thicknesses with ease, and so clean. I thought the cut time would drive me nuts but I love it. It is a short cut time and I can just walk away from the machine and do other things while it cuts. It come from the factory 120v but can be switched out to 220v. It is very well made. Very solid at 460lbs. Wow is all I can say. I did have one problem with it so far. After 5 cuts, the coolant pump failed. Talked to tech support and they got me the a new one, $120 value, shipped to me the next day for free. I say the value because it is not a cheap little aquarium pump, much heavier duty. It is so heavy duty that it has its own capacitor. I am almost certain that is what failed on the original. I am going to order that capacitor off the internet and so I can have a spare pump, or liquid cool something else. The new pump works great. I have built some radius dies out of 1/2" steel for my sheet metal brake, a stand for my shrinker stretcher, and a folding welding table for my brother in law with it so far and am tickled pink. The dies for my brake were cut out of some old nast plate that was laying around that had been cut with torches a long time ago. I made 4 width cuts and then stacked all for pieces next to each other, so 4" tall and 2" solid thick and it cut though then like a hot knife through butter. The only thing that did bother me is that it didn't come with coolant. I get this cool new toy and have to wait until the next day to go buy some rustlick at Grainer. Also, I still need to build a conveyer table for it too.

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter