Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default beginning welder

1 - what is a good welder to get around the home.The previous owner of the house has a 230 service already runnning.

2 - a friend lent me a 20 - 70 amp welder 110 volt. I am using 3/32 fleet e6011 rods. They tend to stick a lot. Is this due to low current or poor technique.

If you are using 110v AC, then you'll need AC rods. Sounds like buddy gave you DC rods?

He has AC rods but the machine he is using is just junk, I don't usually insult others equipment, its not personal, it just is. It is a little investment but they last a long time and work very well, a 175-211 class mig, is ideal for home hobby. A good one without any bells/whistles, Hobart 187. Roll of 030 wire and bottle of C25 gas, couple spare tips and you are good to go.

Without knowing more details, such as what you are planning to weld, what your level of experience is, what the brand/model of the machine is.... I'd second what sberry said

Frank

3/32 is too big for the 110v machines, if you do get it to burn you will amp it out after a couple of rods, go to the hardware store and look for the forney brand welding supplies, they sell real tiny stick rod, i am not sure of the sizes but smaller than 3/32, since you are familiar with stick welding, i suggest that you research your electrical panel, if you have the room, run a 50 amp breaker and get a name brand buzz box, go for the extra cost and get one that runs dc, you will be glad that you did go for the dc down the road

Exclamation What is the welder I ought to be using

Ok,

My friend gave a free welder.

Does anyone have suggestion of the type of welder to purchase to learn how to weld that does not cost an arm and leg.

I already have a 3 phase service installed.

Thanks,

Pat,