Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My welding corner

After years of welding here and there with minimal organization I decided to build a new shop and a welding corner. Well, I have made progress on the shop including adding additional wiring, installing an exhaust fan and building a welding bench.

I installed a 3/4 HP Dayton tubeaxial fan above the bench. I hooked it up with a 3-phase motor and a variable speed drive. I cushioned the mounting and added a hood and a shutter system.

The welding bench is set up on 4 large casters that I had around. It is a 4 x 6 x 1/4"tube frame in the shape of an H. Vertical framing uses 2 1/2" x 3" x 1/8" tubing that I had around the shop. The shelf is 1/8" plate steel and the top is 3/8" plate steel. The projection on the left is removable.

I have not set up the right side yet as I haven't figured out whether to do a vise or grinder station.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips and advice on building my project. I still have a lot to do on the adding torch holders, clamp holders and accessories. I might decide to add some cabinet doors as well. I am also working on some crank down feet to stabilize the unit. It rolls too easily on the big casters.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a pretty sweet layout. I really like the table.

B-E-A-U-TIFUL!!!! Nice to have that much room!!!!
    I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!! Have fun with it! Don't forget to show us pics of what you build on that thing!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

very cool. great welding space ya got there.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Very nice

A unique design that looks effective. So, you mean you can remove the surface and support for the L extension... but I'm guessing that the caster remains, on an extended leg as on the right? Yeah, I'd keep a vice or grinder in place on that right side, or you be trippin'.

Talking

awesome table one of my favorites ive seen

how does that esab work for ya ???
    Last edited by welderman23; 02-21-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

SWEEEEEEET!!! I like the ventilation. I think the anvil is the perfect hight! you don't wan't it to be to high, makes it easier to swing down low.

Thumbs up

i might even have to steal yer design
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Hey good job there. Nice ,bright & well laid out. Table looks tough as well too. Keep us posted with some of your projects. And don't forget we like pics. Enjoy your shop.

Default Some Corrections

You are right about the surface not being attached. I figure that it would work well for a variety of inserts. I was going to do one for a cutting table with a drawer but think now I will limit it to some jigs and a firebrick insert.

I think now that I am going to bolt on most of my accessories to give me some more flexibility.

The anvil is just sitting there now. I will probably put it on a wood base. I was going to put a pedestal on it for the anvil and other attachments but figured the project had gone long enough and I would work on future attachments as I figured things out.

The esab is new to me. My last one that I sold with a business was an Airco which I believe was made by Miller. It is going to take a bit of time to really get used to it.