Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

And maybe you are just being "mind controlled" by your welder

It is a very addicting thing you know....maybe you're just having flashbacks from your recent welding experience and really need to get back at it to get your fill

What are you welding on and what machine have you been using??

My advice: WELD MORE....you'll adjust and try a regular hood while yer at it.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    I would contact the mfg. Counter people do not weld and good help is hard to find. BUT mfgs ARE scared of lawsuits.
    I find electronics work better when used frequently sometimes...I would twist all the knobs and flip all the switches many times and weld with it a bunch.
    Why should they be scared?

This product provides protection even if it fails to go dark- worst you are going to get is sore eyes- Welders Flash- No permanent damage. All UV rays are blocked by the Clear state of the Screen- I don't know of a helmet that does not provide this protection- Clear Safety glasses provide this UV- Protection.

Just the fact of welding- ya know going from Light to dark-dark to light could be causing simple eye fatigue.

He would have to weld with another Hood to determine if this is the case.

New Hood- same problem= fatigue
    New Hood-No eye twitch- then the Optrel could be the culprit.

Joe,

Have you tried putting the hood under a light for a spell to see if the Solar cell can be recharged?

(I have the same hood)

I have tried leaving the hood in the sun per directions from someone at the AWS board.

I called corporate on Monday. I left a voice mail. My call was returned an hour lated. I was told that the person would check with the decision maker and get RIGHT back to me.

After waiting two days, I called again today. I made sure I got to speak to the decision maker. He informed me that my problem should be from a dead battery that Optrel does not want to service. He told me he had a demo unit from a corporate account that he would ship to me free of charge. He said for liability reasons he could never admit that the malfunctioning hood was responsible for my eye problems...wink wink.

Obviously waiting to get the correct person at the corporate office was the necessary step. I usually blow my stack and go nuts with these problems.

I made sure to explain to this guy that I bought the hood from a local distributor. I paid $400 plus for the hood. I had no interest in buying another cartridge for $200 plus. I also told him if I was forced to pay for anything, I would make sure to never buy another Optrel product.

Lets hope the cartridge gets here in working order and that I will be welding again in a few days.

Thanks for the help and for the sarcasm.

It is appreciated.

i would never use a helmet that is only powered by solar cells. does the optrel have batteries, or is it strictly solar? my helmet is a jackson nexgen and has both batteries and solar-- wouldn't have it any other way.

I love my nextgen, I have used the Jackson Journeyman- POS. and the Speedylens niether have 4 sensors like the Nextgen. Nextgen= no flash, period.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default new chinese mask

This one is not solor powered!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Optrel welding hoods

I have used Optrel Welding hoods for at least ten years and never had any problems with them. I'm not talking about one hood either, I'd say more like about five of them, which I still have. I worked for GM and they were very generous in the safety area. All of mine were solar powered only, as I thought all of Optrel hood were. No batteries to go dead.
    Skip

I have the Speedglass 9000x with 2 sensors, when using TIG, I get flashed a lot. Tried the Miller Elite and the Nexgen with 4 sensors, worked beautifully...
    almost cried....
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I bought my nexgen for $60.00 from a kid who thought he wanted to be a welder, almost didn't buy it. Glad I did.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

I contacted Optrel about a problem that I was having out of warranty and they sent me a new cartridge. They sent it next day air and told me to send my old one back when the new one was up and running...no questions or money! I was very happy with this level of service and would recomend their products to others as well. Jeff