Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by welderman23 View Post
    dimes are made form nickel/steel and your working on aluminum.
    thats why it dont look like dimes
    Uh oh. We seem to have a wiseguy in our midst! Careful, or I'll ask the mods to give you flogging too.

When tig was first being introduced we strived for mills, then nickels, then dimes. Now the trend is for the credit card look. When will it end?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    When tig was first being introduced we strived for mills, then nickels, then dimes. Now the trend is for the credit card look. When will it end?
    The Chapter 7 look I suspect.

Exclamation

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Thanks. I can't begin to express how much having you hate me puts a warm glow in my heart.

In all humility though,
    HEY, what have you done with Root?!
    it will be a while before I feel confident I can be consistent everytime. I do think I am progressing at a reasonable rate though. And certainly the only reason I am progressing as well as I have so far is due to all the online tips, tricks, and helpers (yes, including you ).
    Ahhhhh.......there's that warm glow you were talking about.

Sticking to one metal instead of jumping around between aluminum, steel, and SS as helps I think. Get one thing right, then move on.

I request that the mods take you behind the nearest shed and give you a good flogging. <insert fifth smily here>
    oooohhhhh, goody; Pain

OK. It is just one of the things everyone seems to always stress about aluminum. Every post, article, etc. says how well you have to clean aluminum. Being a newb with no experience, sometimes it is hard to judge how far to carry advice. So sometimes I run the risk of being, um, an*l was it?, in an attempt to follow said advice.
    There is overwhelming information against me on this point. I believe this myth (IMHO) started way back before there were readily available AC TIG machines. I, too, have spent hours stainless brushing and acetone-ing the filler. My welds are just as good either way. YMMV This may ruffle some feathers.

PS: It may take a second longer for the AC to clean off the oxides and for the puddle to 'glisten'. This is still faster than precleaning everything. Again; IMHO
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 02-22-2008 at 03:42 PM.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    ROTFLMAO!!!!
    OK. I have updated it with a hint. But I can't confirm or deny its accuracy.

HEY, what have you done with Root?!
    Root suffers from various disorders, to include occasional bouts of humility. It is true. No it's not. Yes it is. No it's not! I said it is!

I wonder though, can one claiming humility truly be such?

oooohhhhh, goody; Pain
    And more of the picture falls into place.

There is overwhelming information against me on this point. I believe this myth (IMHO) started way back before there were readily available AC TIG machines. I, too, have spent hours stainless brushing and acetone-ing the filler. My welds are just as good either way. YMMV This may ruffle some feathers.
    There seem to be a number of things along this line. The old practice of balling the tungsten before welding aluminum as well. Changes in technology can sometimes bring about changes in the rules.

Thumbs up

There seem to be a number of things along this line. The old practice of balling the tungsten before welding aluminum as well. Changes in technology can sometimes bring about changes in the rules

i also started out way to concerned about cleaning it. i found get the grease or oil off it and then a quick scratch with a SS wire brush ( by hand ) helps ya get off to a good start. if you filler is freaking out the puddle on ya, give it a quick wipe down as well. in general just clean it off a bit and go for it.
    keep in mind if the back is coverd in cra p it will end up in the weld. so clean out the inside of the tube also where ya can if needed.
    then just relax and get to it.

as for switching back and forth, in time i suspect it will be easy-er but i'm still paying for it as well at times. not that i'm a pro, just playing around out back to get out of the house and away from the wife.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Arrow Back peddaling

fun4now:
    "if you filler is freaking out the puddle on ya, give it a quick wipe down as well."

I was reading OLD posts last night (from Jan. 2007), about poor weld appearance. One of the quys said something like: "you're adding filler faster than the AC has a chance to clean off all of the oxides."

These two points together, reminded me that I've had times when the filler would glob on the end of the rod and not 'wick' into the puddle. Since this only happened on occassion, I made no connection to the filler.

OK, so maybe I'll start Scotch Bright'n my filler.

My thanks to JAMES
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 02-23-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Can't spell pedal and can't fix it.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

I'm going to take this thread off topic just to say that I tried a piece of steel today for the first time. It felt almost like starting the process of learning to weld all over again.

When I first put the pedal down and the arc started, my first reaction was "is this thing working"? Then I realized I was expecting the AC noise. DC is so darn quite it is almost soothing. How do you guys stay awake when welding steel?

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I'm going to take this thread off topic just to say that I tried a piece of steel today for the first time. It felt almost like starting the process of learning to weld all over again.

When I first put the pedal down and the arc started, my first reaction was "is this thing working"? Then I realized I was expecting the AC noise. DC is so darn quite it is almost soothing. How do you guys stay awake when welding steel?
    Wear very thin gloves and frequently reposition the weldment.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

yea, its a terrible thing to have the welder just humming behind ya. nice and soothing. of course us TA-185 guys get that on AC & DC . no screaming noises for us, just the tunes from ny MP3. makes TIGing verry relaxing .
    Miller should really do some thing about the noise.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES