Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default millermatic 250X stopped working

millermatic 250X LB048853 circuit board #196456

i just picked up the welder used. came with the 30a spoolgun for aluminum. when i hooked it up for the first time at my house as soon as i struck an arc with the gun for steel it worked for a second and then cut out. i can hold the trigger down and gas flows but no power to the gun. no wire feed. nothing. i cut the wire and pulled it out. still nothing. jumped the 2 prong plug on the front of the machine for the gun and same problem. circuit breakers are fine. machine turns on just no power to the gun when i pull the trigger. jumpers are hooked up right for the voltage. i have it plugged into a 220 50amp receptical. i tried using the spool gun and that works fine. could the board still be bad?? board looks fine. the machine looks brand new. i dont want to send the board out for repair it thats not the issue. any help greatly appreciated. the machine worked flawlessly before i brought it to my house. coincidence?

have you downloaded and read the manual????????????

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

yes to no avail

and you have measured the input power inside the machine with a meter to make sure that both legs of the 230 are making it to the switch?? and past the switch when turned on??

and did you check the jumper block to make sure the machine is strapped for the right input voltage???
    Last edited by H80N; 01-01-2012 at 12:52 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

If you just dragged it home, double check all the board, relay and harness connectors to make sure none came loose during transport.

Make sure circuit breaker CB1 that provides power to the wire feed motor isn't open if you haven't checked it yet.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 01-04-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

yes 230 at the switch and on the other side when turned on. jumpers are in the correct location for my set up.

double checked all the board, relay and harness connections and both breakers inside the machine are not tripped.

is Thermostat TP1 open...???? it might be defective.... making the unit think it is overheated.....???

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

[QUOTE=shytbox00;277740]millermatic 250X LB048853 circuit board #196456

. i tried using the spool gun and that works fine. could the board still be bad??

Sounds like a bad connection either at the gun or the connector on the machine. If the Spoolgun is working fine then the machine is functioning and your losing something in the gun or connector more than likely. If it worked before you moved it look closely at the whip and all of those connections. Hope this helps get you going again.
    Bob

If your welder welds correctly with the spoolgun and does not work with the miggun. Then we need to check the miggun trigger. Make sure it is not shorted to the weld conductor inside the miggun. If the trigger wires are shorted to the weld circuit, it is possible that the control pcb is now damaged.
    The control pcb has two different trigger inputs. one for spool gun and one for miggun. It is possible to have one input get shorted out and the input transistor blown and still have the other trigger input still work correctly.
    So before you put a new pcb in, make sure the miggun is not shorted or damaged.
    If the above is all good, then check the power connector coming up from the transformer to the pcb. Should be 4 wires. check the plugs and splices.
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma

Did you ever get to the bottom of this??

what is the status??........

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200