Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MM 130 drive wheels, ,parts?

Greetings!

I've just starting a class in welding, ran up on the mm 130 at a very good price. Heard it is a workhorse, but not sure if I got all the parts.

It is set up for the .023 and wondered what it would take to convert to the .035. Would anyone know if there is there a larger drive wheel? The manual only says 119 028

I think I know that I would have to change the tip, nozzle, etc on the gun, would I have to change the liner?

Is there a ready source for the parts? Are there aftermarket parts?

I plan on just welding some lighter type stuff e.g. making turkey fryers capable of holding 400 lbs, maybe some 3 tier stands to hold 400-500 lbs, and possibly some light weight ss later.

Any suggestions for welding forums, welding websites, supply houses, etc would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and patience,

KY Dan

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by calweld View Post
    Click "Service" at the top of the page, you will see "Serial Number Chart" .....

There are also downloadable owner's manuals if you need one.
    if you look under the consumables tab select your machine and there is all the info you need

well you are at the right site
    welcome to the site and we hope you enjoy welding as much as we do ...not to mention WE LIKE PICS
    Last edited by welderman23; 02-21-2008 at 09:04 AM.
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Thanks Welderman23.

I found those but was confused since the results show the Migmatic M-15 and the manual shows a GA-17C gun.

Also, there are 3-4 liners for the different sizes, but only 1 drive wheel. It seems many welders use different size wheels for the different size wires.

Just for clarification, can I place orders for the parts online, or have to use the places to purchase?

Thanks for the quick response!

KY Dan

i don think you can get em through the site
    but you can call them/go to your local welding supply and get them ordered those are the easiest ways, plus you also can get them to answer any other questions you might have ....or just ask us

there are alot of guys on here that use ebay stores,but i dont trust ebay
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Thanks, I'll ask the shop teacher to suggest some.
    I shop at Welders Supply for my homebrew co2 gas, but they don't seem to provide much insight otherwise.

Appreciate it, and have a nice day!

IIRC all you need to do to change wire size range is change the tip to the right size. A drive wheel flip might be needed to go to the flux core sizes. I use mine with .023 but have run .030 in it with a tip change only. I think the MM130 drive wheels are "V" shaped with some knurling for traction and no too picky about size. The MM130 calls for .030 as the largest solid wire. Are you plannning on using flux core?
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 02-21-2008 at 10:55 AM.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Thanks Vicegrip.

No, no flux just argon/co2 mix.

I've yet to get a tank, and I'm kind of waiting until I finish the class. We're supposed to try out the tig next week.

I show the .035 on the parts list and the consummables page, and the guidelines for it on the side panel. Are you sure about the .030?

Thanks for taking time to respond.

Yeah, an .035 solid wire is a poor choice for a 120V unit. Most of the output range that the 120V units cover is below the level were an .035 solid wire either runs or performs very well. For the little 120V units, an .023 or .030 wire are your best options, when running a solid wire.

Personally, I'd pick up a roll of .030 or .035 self shielded fluxcore too, because on material as thin as 1/8" a 120V unit struggles with solid wire. On certain joint designs the weld tends to be on the cold side, where as the fluxcore burns in nicely on all joint designs on 1/8".

Thanks Danny, good point.

I had not considered that so much because I had heard that the flux wire did not feed as well.

Appreciate the feedback!

KY Dan

Checked on mine and you don't need to change the feed wheel. The spec does call for 2 different liners one for .023 and .025 and one for .030 or larger. I did not note this until now and have run .030 and .023 back and forth only changing the contact tips.

It is a nice welder for a 120V. I have been abusing mine for years and only hit the thermal once.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.