Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Question about welding two different thickness of materials

Howdy one and all. I am in the process of finally starting to build my welding table, my first one, and my first real big project by myself outside of work. SO I am using 2x2x1/4 steel for the frame, and using either 3/16 or 3/8 plate for the top. I am not sure which one I am going to use, I have a call in to my local steel shop to see if they have any remmants of plate. It's a bit pricey I have discovered. So my question is about the setting when welding the plate to the frame. Do I set the maching for the plate thickness and be careful of burning through the frame, or set it for frame thickness? Or is this such a small difference in thickness that it does not matter? I want to make sure I do it right, thanks for your advice and guidance.

Here is one that I built last summer....

I used .120 wall one inch and one and quarter square tubing and then 1/4 plate for the top. I got a drop piece 30x30 and the rest for a total of 110.00. Still have some left of the 1 1/4 - had to buy 20 foot pieces of both.

Since both metals are very close - I just set up for the plate but I aimed the most heat at the top or the thickest metal. When I added the receiver for my vice,etc. I had to crank it up for the thicker metal again aiming at the receiver this time, running several passes to make sure it was good and secure - no problems to date.

I also later added casters and cut the legs off to keep the height constant.

Last edited by TxDarth; 12-28-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    Roger Troue

Retired since 2004

Miller 211
    Miller 200 Syncro
    Miller 375 Extreme

I would go with 3/8" top. I would see about bolting the top in place instead of welding it to keep it from warping.

set it up to the thicker piece... keep the heat in the thicker section and "wash" the weld pool into the thinner material..
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Default Thank you

Sounds great, thank you for the advice.