Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joey-D View Post
    I started the rack today. I did end up putting the syncro on bottom. The 251 has an integrated bottle holder on it, so I will literally have to cut the rear of the 251 frame off.

Someone mentioned not using the same shielding gas. My spool gun and tigging aluminum both use argon. I will post some pictures when I am done with the racks.
    You should be able to unbolt the bottle support on the 251, unless it is one piece with the lower pan/frame of the welder. I highly doubt that because you can buy a two bottle rack or lower bottle rack and attach it to the full size mig machines that the 251 is.

The 251 MIG should be using Pure CO2 or Steel Mix of Argon and CO2 for welding steel. You do not weld steel with PURE Argon, or most people don't. This is why you would have two bottles. I don't know exactly how the 251 works but the 252 is supposed to have a trigger select in it and will power either the spool gun or mig depending on which trigger is pulled. Correct me if I'm wrong but with the right setup, that might even select the right valve for the correct gas solenoid valve to provide the correct gas to the Spool Gun or MIG. I don't that much about tig, but I would imagine you would use different gasses while tigging alum vs. steel.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

I use mix for steel but I use argon for tig aluminum and for the spoolmatic aluminum mig gun I have. The 251 has a single bottle holder build into the frame, for the double bottle rack, the single sleeves into a double. This is the only picture I have with me, but you can see where it would have sleeved in.

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    25' Hydraulic Tilt Lowboy Gooseneck
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Millermatic 251 with 30A spoolgun
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Well she is almost done. I need to brake form the drawers that go under the mig on the plasma side. But since I haven't ordered a brake yet, its kinda hard to finish. Here are a couple highlights of the build.

-As much as it made me cringe, I had to plasma cut the tank rack off of the back of my millermatic.
    -The 251 and 180 are wire together plus an outlet on the back of the 180 to plug the plasma cutter in. I decided not to hard wire the plasma, or bolt it down for that matter, because it is so nice and portable. This whole apparatus only requires 1 plug in to make all 3 units have power.
    -The 251 and 180 have the grounds wired together. The ground out of the 180 goes up to the 251 and then a 30' ground and clamp come out of there. The only problem with that is if I ever have the 251 on and the 180 arc welding in reverse polarity and I welding out both machines simultaneously. A situation that will never happen.
    -Everything else is pretty obviously as far as organization.
    -This 1 day build became a 4 and I still have to make the drawers. Oh well.

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Default Nice

That is a nice looking cart.
    Miller Diversion 180
    Lincoln Mig Pak 5000 HD
    Hypertherm 45
    Uni-Spotter Stud Welder
    Oxy Set-up with Harris Torch
    Miller 30FX Arc Station
    Miller Elite - Hockey Canada Helmet

Great job. What paint did you use? Color code?

That is ace hardware's safety blue. I couldn't find rustoleum safety blue which was recommended but this was close enough. And thanks. As I get a little older (27), I start to realize that I should take my time, especially on something I will own for the rest of my life. Don't wanna look back in 25 years and be like, "That lazy bum."
    2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

I really like it. Nice work.
    How hard is it to roll?

Rolls great. Not too heavy. Only thing I wish I would have done differently is mount the plasma cutter higher or atleast put the cords elsewhere. They get in the way of my drawers.
    2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Looks like you used the original wheels that came off the 251 to put on the back of your new cart. Word of caution: those wheels were designed to be used on the 251 only. I added the twin bottle rack to my 251 and with the weight of two large bottles of gas, those wheels will give out pretty quickly. Just ask me how I know. You've not only added the weight of 2 bottles, but also the weight of that other welder and the weight of the new frame. With everything you have on that cart I'd say that you've pretty much tripled the weight on those same wheels. I'd highly recommend that you invest in some heavy duty rear wheels for that setup, or your investment wil, more than likely, come crashing down rather quickly. Those wheels aren't steel, at least mine weren't and mine looked just like yours, they're just made of a hard rubber/plastic combination and were never designed for that much weight.
    Last edited by diverbill45; 06-04-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    Bill

Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Miller 251
    Thermodynamics Plasma arc
    Benard "Center Fire" wirefeed gun
    Miller alum. spool gun
    Tweco Tig torch
    Victor O/A torches
    B&D Wildcat 9" grinder
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    7"x12" bandsaw

A shop that's always going to be to small.