Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Exclamation

keep this in mind
    Capacity: 3/16'' x 1-1/4'' or 1/4'' x 2'' mild steel size; 5/8'' round or square solid rod

this is not going to bend tubes without additional dies that HF dose not sell that i have seen.
    monte55, made his own die to be able to do square tube but thats a long way off from bending round tubes or pipes. mind you it can be adapted to but look at die $$'s before running off to grab one. may well be better off going threw one of the places that sell the proper die's and benders, they are not the same.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search
    Make standard or unique parts at home or in the workshop. Includes: 1'', 1-1/4'', 1-1/2'', 1-3/4'', 2'', 2-1/2'', 3'' round dies; and right angle die.
    Capacity: 3/16'' x 1-1/4'' or 1/4'' x 2'' mild steel size; 5/8'' round or square solid rod
    Handle telescopes to 44''
    Dimensions:10" W x 10''L x 9-1/8''H

ITEM 44094-5VGA
    $99.99

$49.99 Email link to a friend
    Last edited by fun4now; 02-21-2008 at 04:41 PM.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by bialecki View Post
    monte55 can you expand on the recommendation of putting a grove on the dies. What is the purpose of the grove and what are the dimensions? If possible can you point out the grove and snap ring on one of your photos?

Your help is appreciated. I just placed an order with HF for the floor mounted bender and twister accessory. They had the floor mounted bender on sale for $75. Also here is my contribution with future HF orders; I found this site that lists the coupon codes for discounts. I was able to get the $10 gift card with this order. Here is the url link: http://www.billt.com/harborfreight.htm

Thanks,
    reread my original post and see the round die pic with the steel ring. The ring
    creases the middle of the sq tube making it easier to bend before the top and bottom of the sq tube come into contact with the alum 3" die.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    keep this in mind

this is not going to bend tubes without additional dies that HF dose not sell that i have seen.
    monte55, made his own die to be able to do square tube but thats a long way off from bending round tubes or pipes. mind you it can be adapted to but look at die $$'s before running off to grab one. may well be better off going threw one of the places that sell the proper die's and benders, they are not the same.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search
    Make standard or unique parts at home or in the workshop. Includes: 1'', 1-1/4'', 1-1/2'', 1-3/4'', 2'', 2-1/2'', 3'' round dies; and right angle die.
    Handle telescopes to 44''
    Dimensions:10" W x 10''L x 9-1/8''H

ITEM 44094-5VGA
    $99.99

$49.99 Email link to a friend
    Thanks, having access to a nice machine shop at work, I am able to make a few dies to bend tubing, but the heads up about the HF is design to bend Solid Tubing is appreciated. I did not understand the benefit of the groove until monte55 explained it in his subsequent message. I had to look more closely to actually see the ring added to the groove that supports the center of square tubing. Very cleaver idea, now that I understand the concept. I think I will make one out of heat treatable steel and turn it on a lathe. Now my question will be; the raise ring diameter should be what percentage of the tube diameter (or width of square tubing). Granted I will have to make a die for each diameter tube that I plan on bending.

Also can you repost the HF URL, it does not seem to work.

Thank you,
    Last edited by bialecki; 02-22-2008 at 07:03 AM.

My ring is 1/4" and sticks out half of that. Maybe less would work also.
    If you have access to a good machine shop, I would make the dies with a recess for the tube to fit into. Maybe almost the full depth of the tube. I think this would keep the top and bottom of the tube from bulging as much.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Thanks Monte55! I was looking at the Pro-Tools.com Pro Bender 105 for design ideas as well. I just don't want to spend that amount of money on a tool that I may not use that frequently, so when I saw your original post I thought this is what I want!

Thanks,