Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes, you explained it well enough, thank you.

Now I guess I just have to practice.

For the life of me I don't know why Miller even makes that junk@$$ fingertip controller I have the fast action thumb controller that rotates sideways very quickly...you can just "flick" it up or off. That should come in the set-up not the slower one. Mine is truly handy.
    Just one more person who will never get to use a GOOD controller now thanks to poor sales/marketing. Trust me if they weren't good ones out there nobody would use them but Miller has one of the worst ones ever made in their north-south version

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

ok guys

any suggestions for a Dynasty 2ooDX??
    picked it up at the begining of the month and had a 2 week vacation so i have not started to play with it yet.
    i made sure that i got the foot control right away.
    i spent the time before i went away getting everything together, but have not had a chance to grind any tungstens yet.

???? do i have to grind the tungsten before i try to ball the end for use on aluminum?? how do i ball the end??

david

new2tig
    ???? do i have to grind the tungsten before i try to ball the end for use on aluminum?? how do i ball the end??

you do not ball the tungsten with the Dyn200DX. new inverter technology, new way of doing things.
    start off with some 2% lanthanated or 2% cerated tungsten ( i prefer 2% lanthanated) grind it to a point then just take the tip off the point. thats it, start welding. it will likely form a small rounded point on its own if you are using cerated, 2% lanthanated will most likely not change unless you are pushing the amps max for the tungsten size. aether way, do not use pure tungsten and do not ball the tungsten before welding.
    go to the miller home site and look in the books for the TIG book. its a free download. you also get the same book in the student packet along with the MIG and other books and stuff for $25. ( price might have gone up?) but read the TIG book one way or another.

the attached are screen shots of the TIG book on tungsten selection and prep. sorry i don't know how to take out a page and load it from the pdf file. but don't take my word about it, take Millers. this is strait out of there TIG book.

what do you plan on welding on first ???

also many places have a try mix or house blend tungsten, usualy grey. they are generaly a good option also but can be a bit more $$
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fun4now; 02-22-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: add info about grey tung.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES