Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default starting a buisness

I am 16 years old and i am looking to start my own buisness of some sort. something like small repair and things like that. i recently bought a thermal arc 181i its sweet and i run it off a bobcat 250 welder/generator. i am certified stick 7018 vertical and mig .035 vertical and soon going for flux and all tig i hope to get it all one day, but i really want to start now i have all my own tools and equipment and in the process of building a trailer. but where do i start? i have no idea how to get my name out there and i dont even know if i have all the licensing for any of this if you need any and what to do or where to go. need some advice. and also if i should get into a partnership or work solo what would be better.

Good Luck- I'm not sure you can start a business on your own iffin' yer under 18-

Not trying to discourage you- but something to check out.

You'll need:
    Business License
    Insurance- which I imagine for a 16 yr old will be **** near impossible-

at 16, might want to try and get in with a shop to see how a business runs and
    plan an exit strategy, say 2 years saving up start up cash for when you want to
    step out on your own 100%

Unfortunately, starting a business is not cheap.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Take some business classes. The world is full of good techs who can't make a profit because they lack background.

Work for someone else for awhile & learn everything you can about the work & the business end. Start writing a business plan now & adjust/change it as you learn more. Don't burn any bridges on the way out.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

okay thankyou all i think i will just keep working welding buckets for now. i am just trying to get an idea on what it would be like and what i would need to start out a repair/fab buisness

Where do you live? In the USA it's illegal to have anyone under 18 working with power tools in a commercial environment.
    I can't imagine owning a business without several years real world experience in the particular field. That would be a death blow from the get go in my opinion.

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Thumbs up Can Do Attitude...

Quote Originally Posted by mauerick View Post
    okay thankyou all i think i will just keep working welding buckets for now. i am just trying to get an idea on what it would be like and what i would need to start out a repair/fab buisness
    Do not be Discouraged..!!

I would think that if you started gradually and carefully you could do it fairly low key.. just make sure you have the competence to do the jobs you take in....

I have a real problem with the regulatory mess that we have put ourselves in where you need a license, health certificate, and an environmental impact statement to open a lemonade stand... What ever happened to initiative and free enterprise???
    We hear why we can't do things... no wonder this country is sliding downhill... that is a garbage attitude... this country was not built on negativity and over regulation... It was built on skill, ambition and sweat....

I applaud your goals... as far as a minor with power tools goes what in the Blue Blazes do they call the kid with a lawnmower that earns money by mowing lawns???
    Think we need to start doing things again rather than coming up with excuses for why we can't.... or we truly will be the slaves of the regulators and naysayers... Remember.. our government works for us not the other way around!!!!

Keep your eye on the prize... I congratulate you for having a clear idea of what you want to do and the focus to earn and buy the tools to go there... you will go far..... The winners in life are the ones that figure out how to get stuff done...
    not the ones that make excuses for why it can't!!!!!!

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Where do you live? In the USA it's illegal to have anyone under 18 working with power tools in a commercial environment.
    I can't imagine owning a business without several years real world experience in the particular field. That would be a death blow from the get go in my opinion.

JT
    well ive been going to school for the past 3 years for metal fabrication and joining technologys im at junior in highschool now and ive used all kinds of power tools and operate heavy equipment even tho i dont got any licensing for it yet

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Do not be Discouraged..!!

I would think that if you started gradually and carefully you could do it fairly low key.. just make sure you have the competence to do the jobs you take in....

I have a real problem with the regulatory mess that we have put ourselves in where you need a license, health certificate, and an environmental impact statement to open a lemonade stand... What ever happened to initiative and free enterprise???
    We hear why we can't do things... no wonder this country is sliding downhill... that is a garbage attitude... this country was not built on negativity and over regulation... It was built on skill, ambition and sweat....

I applaud your goals... as far as a minor with power tools goes what in the Blue Blazes do they call the kid with a lawnmower that earns money by mowing lawns???
    Think we need to start doing things again rather than coming up with excuses for why we can't.... or we truly will be the slaves of the regulators and naysayers... Remember.. our government works for us not the other way around!!!!

Keep your eye on the prize... I congratulate you for having a clear idea of what you want to do and the focus to earn and buy the tools to go there... you will go far..... The winners in life are the ones that figure out how to get stuff done...
    not the ones that make excuses for why it can't!!!!!!
    wow thankyou, i wont give up on it, i know i still got alot to learn but all in time ill reach my goals one day to build up and own a buisness. i am going to try to do work under the table where people can brings there things to me and i will fix them up without having to get all these stupied licenses and all health stuff that goes with it hopefully. i have a good idea on how to be safe and what to do and what not to do now i even got my ocea 10 card and ive been doing this for about 3 years now and i still have all my fingers on me haha. but i totally agree with you and thankyou much for the advice sir

Quote Originally Posted by mauerick View Post
    well ive been going to school for the past 3 years for metal fabrication and joining technologys im at junior in highschool now and ive used all kinds of power tools and operate heavy equipment even tho i dont got any licensing for it yet

That's not a commercial environment. You aren't an employee of the school.
    I don't make up the rules, the federal dept of labor does.
    As far as the lawn mower goes, I don't have a landscaping business so I don't have any idea but I do know that I can't have a minor work with power tools, in an excavation plus a lot of other restrictions. Anybody can look em up at the dept of labor site.

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.