Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Go to grainger.com look up p/n 5kan4 4 pole 40 amp 24 vac definite purpose Contactor they have them in stock $94.75. Hope this some help .Duane

Quote Originally Posted by milkerman View Post
    Go to grainger.com look up p/n 5kan4 4 pole 40 amp 24 vac definite purpose Contactor they have them in stock $94.75. Hope this some help .Duane
    Thanks man. I'll have to check out granger on Monday.

Default Update

I just spent some time on the phone and internet and found the correct part for my machine. Below is a list of all the cross references.

c25dnf340t

42c25dnf34t

xmco-403ebbd

42cf35aj

3100-30q10999

8910bpa43v14

cr453ad3haa

hcc-3xq04gg

Then all you have to do is pick up a NO AUX connector CH Part # C320kg3. I didn't get the cross references with that one.

The problem with mine was two-fold. The main contactor connections were bad and the transformer that actuates it was also bad. I pushed on it before I cleaned off my contacts and it did nothing. Now with the contacts cleaned up it works great when pushed on, but the transformer does not pull the connection together so I am looking at a new unit. Once again thank you everyone for your help!

glad you have made such progress... pls keep us posted how it goes....

BUT PLEASE!!!!..... that is not a transformer inside of the contactor.... it is simply an actuating coil....

Remembering that may save you some grief at a later date and avoid miscommunication in the future...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    glad you have made such progress... pls keep us posted how it goes....

BUT PLEASE!!!!..... that is not a transformer inside of the contactor.... it is simply an actuating coil....

Remembering that may save you some grief at a later date and avoid miscommunication in the future...
    Actuating coil. Got it. Thanks again. I will let you guys know how it works when the parts get here. It should weld a lot better with new contacts I hope...

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime View Post
    The previous owner wired it up wrong. I have the correct schematic from miller.
    I'm not surprised considering the addition of the gas valve. The person making the modification probably didn't understand how everything worked or pay attention to what they took apart and just started making connections until it worked.

Should I see if they have the replacement part?
    Could have asked them to email you the manual and parts list and asked about a replacement. As I stated in post #30, the 024883 on the contactor follows Miller PN format but came up as a deadend. Only Miller could confirm if that is the original but obsolete PN and if they have a substitute available or to suggest.

I was looking on Ebay. Would this work for the way it is wired now : (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-BRADLE...item56479e8fb1) or should i rewire it per Miller specs?
    Nope. It has a 480VAC coil and only NC auxiliary contacts. You need a 24VAC coil, NC and NO auxiliary contacts.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    I'm not surprised considering the addition of the gas valve. The person making the modification probably didn't understand how everything worked or pay attention to what they took apart and just started making connections until it worked.

I hear that. It is a rats nest in there. Not that I undestand it any better

Could have asked them to email you the manual and parts list and asked about a replacement. As I stated in post #30, the 024883 on the contactor follows Miller PN format but came up as a deadend. Only Miller could confirm if that is the original but obsolete PN and if they have a substitute available or to suggest.
    I thought you guys said that was a replacement main connector or different from original?

Nope. It has a 480VAC coil and only NC auxiliary contacts. You need a 24VAC coil, NC and NO auxiliary contacts.
    I got it all squared away now I hope. Post #43 has all the part numbers so now at least the next person will know what to get. Thanks again!

I thought you guys said that was a replacement main connector or different from original?
    Actually, this is what I stated in post #23 in regard to the subject . . .

That's the weld output contactor H80N pointed out and although I suspected it before, now believe more it's not the original. That is unless pre-'73 units used this type with the auxiliary contacts for motor control that are shown buy the red (NO) and yellow (NC) arrows in the photo below. This explains why relay CR1 isn't being used to control the motor.

Remember? That's why I recommended you contact Miller for the wiring schematic that now confirms it is the original style.
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL

Actually, this is what I stated in post #23 in regard to the subject . . .

That's the weld output contactor H80N pointed out and although I suspected it before, now believe more it's not the original. That is unless pre-'73 units used this type with the auxiliary contacts for motor control that are shown buy the red (NO) and yellow (NC) arrows in the photo below. This explains why relay CR1 isn't being used to control the motor.

Remember? That's why I recommended you contact Miller for the wiring schematic that now confirms it is the original style.
    Honestly that diagram is greek to me as to whether that was the original part. That is a pretty good lifespan assuming it was in there since 1971...

You could likely benefit from spending some time on allaboutcircuits.com because I've got to be honest and say the early MM35 shown in the diagram Miller sent you is one the most basic and simple control circuits ever used.

If you can get some of the basics regarding device symbols and component functions under your belt, it would go a long way in helping you understand what you're working on.
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL