Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Bobcat 250 not welding

My bobcat 250 will not weld but has generator power. The previous owner tried to replace the 5 position polarity switch and has hooked it up incorrectly because it sparks terribly when I move the switch back and forth. I have looked at the wiring diagrams and it seems to look correct. Could it be anything else or am I correct in thinking its the polarity switch?

If the range selector switch is hooked up wrong as you've stated then it needs to be corrected. If it's hooked up wrong, how can it look OK?

Is the engine "laboring" as if under a load?

You're going to have to figure that part out before you do anything else and if it's arcing when changing positions, I highly recommend you don't do it or you'll be replacing it again.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

It looks like it is hooked up correctly from the wiring diagrams on the inside of the side panels And yes, the welder acts as if it is under load. It looks like the previous owner just removed the cables from the 5 position switch and not the rest of the welder. Thanks for the reply Duane.

Is there a picture or diagram better than the ones in the owners manual or inside the welder I can use to make sure the switch is correctly wired?

To pull up the correct diagram, we'll be needing that Serial#. however your machine is under load, likely the weld stator has a short, or rectifier is pooched but we'll figure it out.

Slept on it and went back this morning and figured out the problem. There was a couple of wires that were hooked up wrong on the switch causing unintended load. Thanks for the reply and help!

Congrats on the fix and thanks for reporting back to let us know.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110