Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looks nice, if you passed the bend test without any cracks then your well on your way! The reason why I asked about your school, was because I also attended a two year welding program and the shop looked eerily familiar, with the cubicles and all... You don't happen to attend BCTC do you?

a Circle i cut using the plasma arc cutter

The thing i dont like, which i was aware of while i was doing it,
    is i held the torch on an offset of a few degrees, in the same direction the whole way around

i never adjusted my wrist or the torch to create a taper inward the whole way around

i'll practice this soon, seems awkward but fun to try

looks not to bad. this ur first year? the welds are coming along good you just have to work on being more consistent in ur timing and travel upwards but 4 a first year thats pretty darn nice. keep on buring that rod and ull have it in no time.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

first year yeh

i have never touched a welder / oxyacet setup / gougers / plasmas arc cutters at all before this year

its fun

No crack on bent?? No!!!
    Congrats give you a beer..Keep up practice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DiabolicaL View Post
    heres some more random pictures

These are the CWB practice pieces in all positions, before and after being bent

Pieces Bent, no Breaks
    MillerMatic 211

Did my first bend test today, 1G open root, 6010 root and hot passes with 7018 fill and caps. Talk about nerve wracking waiting for it to be bent, in front of the whole class. Turned out well though.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

im currently going to school as well 2 quarters in and i didnt know they did bend tests on anything but verticle and direct overhead. the flat just seems trivial but i guess every schools different.

our instructors have said flat position welding would be the hardest to bend without cracking due to the fact that theres much more of a chance for slag to get trapped in the toes of the weld .. slag inclusion .. which of course will aid in the cracking process

but knowning them all is useful and fun to do i find

we are doing GMAW welding now, it's pretty neat

been practicing some Vertical Up fillet welds
    feel free to add comments or constructive criticism

(i never knocked off the little bits of slag that is visible)

Talking

Lookin' good. Consistency is probably the most difficult thing to master when you're learning....... and teaching. On your verts; faster across the middle and point the electrode into the parent metal with a short pause on the sides. Everyone figures out what works best for them in time but you might also try moving faster horizontally with less upward progression. Hope this makes sense, kinda hard to explain on a keyboard!