Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quote Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
    One problem today is, battery skill saw's.
    Thats the kind of truth that nobody want to think about. Port-a-Door.

And a battery powered grinder will make quick (but noisy) work of any padlock no matter how "hardened" the shackle.

I like to make steel protection boxes around any place I put a padlock. Yes the grinder with a cutoff wheel could get through it without a problem, but it extends the time the theif has to stand there in public view making lots of noise. It also keeps the rain out of the padlock, so you know it'll open in any kind of weather.

A theif with an O/A or plasma is going to be nearly impossible to stop (concrete bunker???). Fortunately most theives aren't smart enough to operate O/A or plasma!

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE

Well you guys covered just about everything. One thing not covered is tire spikes.

They will need a vehicle to carry off most shop items. If they are fixing flats they have no time to rob.

You can make tire spikes that wont go through your shoe but will a tire. I use two sets of just 1" pipe with angle cut 1/2" pipe spikes on them. My shop is behind the house where I don't usually drive and toss them aside when I do.

I use trip wires for those coming out of the woods. A spring loaded device that fires a nail gun blank if you walk through the wire. No little kids around here, yet.

I also use the common things. Six levels in all but still might add a few more.

Would like to find some metal replica fake guns to leave out. They'll grab those and haul butt while leaving the tools behind.

this might be useful, an electrified box with a key powered switch:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...596057&page=14

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...596057&page=15

I was at a big offroad race recently. One of the big-name fabrication companies left a hypertherm 65 and MM251 out front and plugged into their generator so that if you needed to work on your race truck you could just drive up and fix it. The irony was that both items were chained to the post.

They chained a plasma cutter up that had an air supply and power! HAHAHA. The owner of the company and I had some good laughs about that incredible idea!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I looked into GPS tracking after I got a motor cycle stolen a couple of months ago.
    What I learned was that you eithe have to pay for a subscription or have a HAM radio license.

There are some nice units that provide electric fence notification. (if the tracker leaves your property you get a notification sent to your phone.)

I dont understand how the euro cell service monitoring works. Do you have to get a plan?

Thanks!

Default spikes

I like your idea. Got any pics of the spikes?

I have a few ideas on securing things using either of these 2 types of locks.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_310443-382-M...7C1&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_310431-382-M...sales_dollar|1

I saw an idea where the lock is recessed in a piece of pipe so I would use that idea to prevent someone from getting bolt cutters or a battery powered cut off wheel in there.

I was thinking of securing a plate to the floor where I would always 'park' the welder and have a 2 pieces of pipe welded to the floor plate. Then when the welder cart was backed into position its piece of welded on pipe would go between the other 2 pieces welded to the floor.

Then a smaller pipe could be inserted in the three with a solid rod inside the smaller pipe (loose) so could not be cut even if they could cut through the bigger pipes. A piece of plate would be on one end butting against the pipe on the floor as a stop for the smaller pipe (rod) on one end.

On the other end one of the two locks shown could be recessed inside a piece of pipe just barely larger than the lock itself and a piece of thick strap could extend through a hole for the shackle to lock to. This thick piece of strap would be welded on the smaller pipe.

Don't know if that paints a good enough picture of what I'm considering.