Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hi, yes, that's one of the things I mentioned, there are also a number of others, but at that price it's dirt cheap, but limited in useage.

There is a limitation with this one you showed, it will only send back sound signals, like for listening in on conversations etc, so it won't send the location.

If you do see one on Ebay, check that it will send back location and that it has a built in battery........some need to be attached to a vehicle wiring system and have no battery, so not suitable for a welder or other mobile piece of equipment.

I see one for $70 that does send location and has a rechargeable lithium battery, and I think this would be suitable for a location like a welder that has power at some time, so that the battery can be recharged while it's dormant.

If I can get the link I'll post it so you can see what it looks like, but it will be in Australia, so as it comes from Hong Kong, they should be available in the USA too.
    Ian.
    Last edited by marblearch; 11-19-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: correction to information.

That one does mention that it shows location; sound is optional.

I built a cage in the corner of my shop and put e everything in their.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Quote Originally Posted by marblearch View Post

I'm considering getting one for my car, so that if it gets "moved" I'll know exactly where it is.
    I am an amateur radio operator and we have similar tracking system, called APRS. I have devices installed in all 6 vehicles that we have here, the moment they are powered on it transmits my call sign with a unique identifier for each device and the location continuously. The location signal is transmitted on VHF radio frequencies which are monitored nationwide 24/7. Not only do I get vehicle location, but when in motion I also get speed information.

I have three teenage drivers so the system is very useful for me!!!

When the vehicle is turned off it transmits a few more times before going into sleep mode.

I can track them from inside my own vehicle or I can also track from this web site ..... http://aprs.fi/#!lat=39.54540&lng=-76.32510

If you check out the map there you can keep track of all kinds of things including marine vessels in port and at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    That one does mention that it shows location; sound is optional.
    Hi, yes, just re-read the specs, it's got position monitoring......the one on Ebay in OZ looks the same casing with the small Andoid logo, but it only sends sound , like for conversation snooping.....LOL.

With 12 days standby, it would be ideal, especially if it transmitted through the outer casing of a welder etc.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by marblearch View Post

With 12 days standby, it would be ideal, especially if it transmitted through the outer casing of a welder etc.
    Ian.
    Does that mean it has to be taken out every 12 days ad recharged or does it stay charged and will last 12 days once activated?

Having to recharge something every 12 days would not be practical.

Our shop security system is a huge rottweiler named Heinz, they'd have to shoot him to stop him. He's low maintenance, no batteries required!
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Does that mean it has to be taken out every 12 days ad recharged or does it stay charged and will last 12 days once activated?

Having to recharge something every 12 days would not be practical.
    Hi, when you switch it on it is on standby and will last for 12 days ready to receive a call.

This is the same as your cellphone that will last forever (almost) on standby as long as it is connected to the charger.....but when you remove it and go walkabout with the phone on standby the phone will last as long as the charge in the battery.

The security device could be wired into the input power source of your welder etc, and will remain charged and on standby forever (almost) while the welder is connected to the power source, but if it gets unplugged when someone steals it, you have 12 days to track it down......bags of time.

The plan would be to place it say under a circuit board out of sight and wired into the welder input, so that the battery is kept charged....you must ensure the welder is plugged into an outlet and the outlet is switched on all the time, even though the welder itself is switched off.
    Ian.

I know this is a older posting but , Id say Put bars over the outside of the windows and doors and have the bolts long enough so you can hook your new welder up to them on the inside.? F*CK Them Theifs!

Two things will make a thief think twice. How long and how much noise it is going to take him to get in and how easy is it going to be for him to get out and away, once he has chosen what he wants,remember he wants in and out fast.
    A woman close by purchased a big flat screen TV just before Christmas, left the box at the trash. Well the TV was gone withing two weeks. If you get another toy, destroy the box, I never advertize a purchase.
    All of my electrical hand tool's are chained together, it would stop any idea of a quick getaway.
    Your compressor was unplugged, they saw the prevention system and did not bother.
    A dwarf could not get in through my window, bars welded inside, door opening would take time and make a lot of noise.
    The movie "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" has a cage built inside a doorway, you need space for that idea but your stuff would be safe.
    One problem today is, battery skill saw's.