Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hmm, build a tool box or buy one and reinforce it with aluminum sheets and stainless or if your on a budget, mild steel. I say stainless and aluminum because it will be harder for the thief to try and cut it with a grinder and impossible with a OA torch. Bolt that sucker down to the concrete/wall and when you are ready to pack up for the night, put the welder, grinders and other expensive tools in there. Forget Masterlocks and ANY padlock you get at Lowes, HD etc! Get an Abloy padlock or pucklock, they are far superior than anything else period!

A box like structure with lots of flat metal that is fully enclosed is alot harder to try and grind or even plasma through. Run square tubing within the box structure to make it even more of a chore to cut through. Grinders can cut less than half of the diameter of their blade until they are maxed out.

You gotta think what types of shapes of metals are hard to cut through when you are fabbing up stuff and apply that to your security enclosure.

Another good, cheap, and easy way to make it difficult for someone to try and make off with your welders is to back up an old truck or car to the machines carefully and then take out a fuse or something.

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

Common around here. After the first break in you go and buy new stuff so they hit you again to (surprise) get the new stuff they KNOW you will have.

Anyway, my father always said it is harder to pull a locked door open than it is to break it in
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

you can build a cage with expanded metal and 1 1/2 tube. The kind they use on logging trucks. I think 1/4 in. It will make 4x8 squares. Make it big so you can put all your tools in.(say the length of your wall) The door big so you can wheel out tool chests and elders. Once you have a cage get a electric fence box(the big ones that burn grass and brush when it touches the fence). Put the box in your house with a switch so I can only be turned on and off from insode your home and raise the line or bury it.

Hi, new on this forum, first post from Australia......weeeeee.

On the subject of security it's best to know where the things you've got pinched are right now.....so you or the cops can go get them and the guys who now have them.

There is a small security device on Ebay that costs $35 looks like a small box of matches in size and runs on an inbuilt battery for 80 hours, normally it is connected to the main power supply of the equipment being guarded but when the equipment is disconnected from the mains the in built battery powers it for up to 80 hours, approx 3 1/2 days etc.

It works on the GPS system and has a sim card inside it.

The device is normally dormant until you access it, IE it doesn't send a radio signal out all the time for someone to detect it.

If you want to track the whereabouts of the item removed, you send a coded message to the device, like as if it is a cell phone, and the device sends a message back to your cell phone and it will tell you the co-ordinates of it's whereabouts down to 5 metres, then you go on Google Earth and check where those co-ordinates are....bingo you have your goods back.

Being so small you can hide it anywhere inside the equipment without it being detected, and it doesn't have any indicator lights to give away it's position to a searcher.

This worked for an Ipad that got stolen from an airport recently and the Ipad got asked where it was and a baggage handler got booked for theft.....cool.
    Ian.

I don't know how much room you have but a good safe storage space is a 20 ft shipping container. They can be bought fairly cheap and are pretty tough to get into, especially if you fab up a bar through the doors with a shielded lock box. The top makes good loft storage if your shop is tall too.
    200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Quote Originally Posted by pukesniffer View Post
    Once you have a cage get a electric fence box(the big ones that burn grass and brush when it touches the fence).
    I'd rather use 550VAC.

poppy.jpg

That and live cams have worked for me ..

Quote Originally Posted by marblearch View Post

There is a small security device on Ebay that costs $35 looks like a small box of matches in size and runs on an inbuilt battery for 80 hours, normally it is connected to the main power supply of the equipment being guarded but when the equipment is disconnected from the mains the in built battery powers it for up to 80 hours, approx 3 1/2 days etc.

It works on the GPS system and has a sim card inside it.

The device is normally dormant until you access it, IE it doesn't send a radio signal out all the time for someone to detect it.

If you want to track the whereabouts of the item removed, you send a coded message to the device, like as if it is a cell phone, and the device sends a message back to your cell phone and it will tell you the co-ordinates of it's whereabouts down to 5 metres, then you go on Google Earth and check where those co-ordinates are....bingo you have your goods back.

Being so small you can hide it anywhere inside the equipment without it being detected, and it doesn't have any indicator lights to give away it's position to a searcher.

This worked for an Ipad that got stolen from an airport recently and the Ipad got asked where it was and a baggage handler got booked for theft.....cool.
    Ian.
    Just read your post. Please provide a link or a name of the device you mentioned. I did a quick seach on ebay and was overwhelmed by the amount of anti-theft stuff.

Hi, I didn't save the Ebay items, but if you browse the various security devices like trackers and listening devices you'll find them.

They all work with a sim card and use the GPS system to transmit back to you when called....they are dormant until you send the coded message.

I'm considering getting one for my car, so that if it gets "moved" I'll know exactly where it is.

There's one that looks like a wristwatch and is worn on the wrist....it shows the time in one mode like a watch and GPS position in another......you can also send a coded text message to the watch from your cellphone and it will send back it's position, which is checked on Google Earth.

One that might be of interest is the "listener"....size of a matchbox, you place it in a position, wherever, leave the location and by sending a code to it with your cell phone it turns on and sends all sounds around it back to you....pretty sneaky, but it does tell you what is happening when you're not there.
    Ian.

Is this the kind of thing you are talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-A8-GPS-...item484b95a173

Nice idea, but the battery charge only lasts 12 days.

I wonder if you could hardwire the battery charger into your welder and hide both inside somehow. Then you could leave the welder plugged in and it would keep the unit charged.