Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MM140 or MM180

Hybrid View

Default MM140 or MM180

im ab out to buy a 1963 corvair suspecting it will need plenty of restoring I was thinking abuot up gradeing from my pep boys welder. would it be woth the extra money to buy the MM180 or would I be going a bit over board and should stick with MM140.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tay530 View Post
    im ab out to buy a 1963 corvair suspecting it will need plenty of restoring I was thinking abuot up gradeing from my pep boys welder. would it be woth the extra money to buy the MM180 or would I be going a bit over board and should stick with MM140.
    Pep Boys have a welder with their name on it ?

If it was me, I would go with the MM180, that is if you can afford the little extra. There may be a day down the road where you will kick yourself in the butt for not going one better. Just my 2 cents
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

I agree completely. becuase as Im sure we've all been told or thuoght "this is something I'm might use for decades".

It' not realy made by pep boys just a little old thing I picked up on my way out.

Default Hello..

You will be much happier with the MM180 and its abilities over the MM140. While the MM140 is great, it lacks the huevos that may be required when working on your car. A 63 Corvair will be equipped with a more generous and more robust steel than later models and you want to make sure your welds are sound. Remember one thing however, if your frame requires welding even the MM180 may be a tad light but unless you are a seasoned pro, I don't recommend heating your frame in any way and leave that part for a pro.

Good luck,

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

2tay,

I'd recommend the larger unit. You can always dial a larger unit down, but you can't use amps you didn't buy.

You may also want to look at the Hobart HH210 (a 210A unit)which has received rave reviews and is priced not much more than the MM180.

Just my .02

well you can R.I.P. TacMig because I wouldn't dare to dream of welding the most crutial part of the car,the frame(I don't consider my self a seasond anything). And you are right that cars where built a little thicker in the good old old days. but I agree with sundown, you can't add amps to your machine but you can reduce what you have.

Exclamation

If you have 220v service, there is NO WAY I'd go with the MM140. Almost 100 years ago (or there abouts), I wanted to upgrade from my Oxy/Acet. So I bought a Syncrowave 250. And I've NEVER been sorry. My next purchase will be a Miller 220v MIG (or a Miller 375 plasma cutter). Decisions, decisions.

If you're under 50 or 60 or 70; buy UP. You'll get to cuss bad tools for the rest of your life.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

I agree with everyone else, go with the 180 if you have the extra funds. Spending a little more on the bigger unit will pay for itself shortly if you use it any at all. In the welding world, I'm a firm believer that bigger is better, because you can always turn the heat down as needed, but you can only go up so high before you run out of amps.
    At Home
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
    1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
    Miller Bobcat 250
    2 Miller MM251s