Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table idea

Thumbs up Table idea

I recently got a bunch of 3/4 bar stock, various widths. I was thinking of cutting them to 4 foot lengths and laying them out as a table top. I want to make them clamp down so they are adjustable for clamping and jigging. My only fear is that the hot rolled would not be level enough. I also plan to put a small section of solid plate. Any one have any thoughts on the idea??

Cool

Just give it a try. It sure beats working off the floor...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I built my table top as an open grate of 1" sq tube (hot rolled)
    The tubes are parallel, maybe 6" on center
    So I can insert clamps between the tubes and clamp things to the top
    It works great
    You're just taking the idea and extending it
    It should be fine
    Go for it

Frank

I am thinking you can put some latteral support under the center of the bar stock if concerned about warping.

sorry to piggy back your thread, But I was wondering what would be the best grade steel for my new welding table? I have access to Carbon steel, 4140, and A514. I am going to make it 30x60 thinking 3/8".

If this is strictly a cutting bench it would make a difference. If this is any kind of workbench I want plate top. For general work like farmboy here might be looking at there is no need to get real fancy but I hate not being able to set something small on it, tools fall thru and cant use the bench space under it. For repair and general fab I rarely find something I cant do clamping a piece or 2 along the edges and precision in this whole scheme of things is not as big of deal as a guy might think it to be at the start. 2 tings are ideal, a bench with vise that can weld at and a table with reasonably flat top, about 3x6 is plenty, something a guy can walk around and reach across. Simple cutting grate with a catch bucket under it to do about 90% of it, if I had a special need would tailor, cutting big long sheets daily is different than the occasional deal but in the repair business I make a 100 little cuts for every major one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your 30X60 idea is fine for general work.
    3/8 top is sufficient. Mine are pieces of junk that just got added on, they never were designed from the start but the location and layout is what makes them work really well. They are bolted down and I can walk around, they don't need to be moved which is not always possible for everyone. My setup allows to be real ergonomic, changes a pinch on how I would build a bench. I have 2 benches, one flat with the cut grate and the other with vise, I don't like vise on a post, no where to set tools and I don't care for it on my flat bench seems its in the way for flipping projects around and I ain't gonna pull it out and put it in a socket daily either. Vise could probably live on a bench along the wall in most shops but the flat is ideally an island.
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-13-2011 at 05:02 PM.

I missed one. Main point of it all is to be able to reach it easy.
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-13-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Default still solid

My plan is to stagger a 4 inch with a 2 inch and to keep the surface closed unless I need to remove a small section to jig something up or clamp from. I agree with the comments about a flat surface to work on. My biggest concern with the idea is that the bar stock won't be uniform and will be hard to work on smaller stuff. That is why I want to put a section of plate on one end and probably a cutting grate on the other. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good clamping idea for the bar stock? I have a couple sticks of 5 x 5 x 1/2 inch angle iron for the frame. I was hoping to find something reasonable in price that could be spot welded to the bottom of the bar stock. Guess this is one where time vs money becomes the trade off. For the record... Drilling and tapping is low on my list.

Default Lol

MR Sberry we share the same method for easy-reach ...

Regarding the table take a look a this one, i like-it, some won't...

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=47645

There is something for everyone. I spose if I was straightening frames every day there would be a use for that but it would be in the way for me, not worth it even on the occasion I could use it.
    I was in a place a while back (corporate deal) where someone got a big brainstorm to build this big bench (on overtime), the thing looks impressive but it isn't any thing special to work from and actually the things they did are liabilities. In a small room its too big, too big anyway, poorly designed edges, has a 2 inch or something top and angles used out to the edges so there is bevel to try to clamp to, its not really in a welding shop anyway, just one 10,000 # 20,000 dollar lump in the way, they are out of business now.
    I went to a club project a while back when no one was there and moved some stuff, someone had dropped it off and there it stay in the way for the duration, neither torch or plasma would reach it without a move. and it sat in the middle of the traffic. Had to get a long cord to use a drill or grinder.