Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default question using 8vs suitcase with old ac/dc stick welder for power

Hi All,
    I just bought a used 8vs. I have an old(1971) Miller 250AC/DC stick welder for power. I have the stick welder on DC reverse, the electrode wire into the 8vs, work to clamp on metal, sensing clamp to metal, 8vs set to CC.
    Does all this sound correct?

The 8vs wire feed speed control is adjusted by percent. When using my welding chart for welding a certain thickness metal it refers to inches per minute. How does this correspond to the percentages on the wire feed speed control knob on the 8vs?

Do I still use the Amp control on the stick welder to control the amps on the 8vs?

I'm running solid wire(.035) with 75/25 Argon/co2 mix
    Thanks for the help.
    Mike

I believe it is a % of the maximum wire feed speed.

"Use switch to select high or low wire
    speed range. High range is 100 to
    700 ipm. Low range is 50 to 350 ipm."

That is from the On Line manual so not sure if those numbers match your feeder
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

utumike,

The 8 VS wirefeeder was designed to be used on a CV (constant voltage) power source.

Your AC/DC buzzbox is a CC (constant current) power source.

You're not going to be happy with the results. Nearly impossible to short arc and the power supply doesn't have the ba11s for globular or spray arc.

That power supply/feeder make a poor pairing for normal mig welding.

You'd probably be better off, if mig is the objective, to sell the feeder and buy a stand alone mig.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

SundownIII "The 8 VS wirefeeder was designed to be used on a CV (constant voltage) power source."

The 8vs is made to use on cc or cv machines. It has a switch to set for either.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

MMW,

I stand by my previous comment.

That "switch" doesn't tell you what results to expect.

Do the homework.

If the OP intends to run dual shield in spray arc mode he doesn't have the HP for it. If his intended use is short arc (solid wire and C25), then it's a poor setup.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    More grinders than hands

Default old stick welder seams to have plenty of power

Thanks for your replies.
    The old stick welder goes up to 350 amps on DC reverse. I haven't had the chance to use this set up yet because I welded the wire to the tip on a practice run(bummer) I had the amps way to high. It was on 250 amps. It burned right through 1/4 in. For some reason i thought the 8vs adjusted the amps for the operator. Now i realize that i have to adjust the amps on the stick welder.
    If anyone else has this set up, I would be interested in your advise.
    Mike

I have been talking to these guys about the same thing for about a week look at my post Weld Control it should help you out as it did me. I have a Lincoln LN-25 feeder similar to 8vs and i put it on CCmode and run flux cored wire it isnt the best but it works. Wirefeeders work the best on CV machines.

Excerpt from a Millerwelds article
    "CC power sources, most notably older "DC generator" style engine drives used in the construction industry, are designed for Stick/TIG welding. In the past, contractors often adapted them for spray transfer MIG and flux cored welding by adding a voltage sensing wire feeder (short circuit MIG is very limited with this set up). Today, many engineering firms, construction companies and building codes no longer allow flux cored welding (FCAW) with a CC power source. It does not provide adequate assurance that the weld is being made with the proper voltage because operators must hunt for a voltage because the voltage fluxuates on a volt/amp curve from the CC power source"

walker,

Thanks for posting that link.

Don't understand some people. Even though you tell them fire is hot, they still have to stick their hand in it and get burned.

I'll say it one more time.

CC buzzboxes with feeders make lousy short arc mig welding setups. Don't give a **** if the feeder has a CC/CV switch or not.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    CC buzzboxes with feeders make lousy short arc mig welding setups. Don't give a **** if the feeder has a CC/CV switch or not.
    I have a Lincoln LN-25 loaded with 035 hard wire right now. Usually only use this with a CV power source, just for giggles I'll try it out with a CC power source today or tomorrow. Setting up a new truck right now, my time is my own. I'll report back with results and conclusions.

I will mention, I do have many many hours running wire, both Innershield and dual-shields, off CC power sources. The trick is setting amps and wire speed correctly, then consistently maintaining the correct stick-out to hold voltage where it needs to be. I'll give it a try with short-arc MIG, never done this before.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....