Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air arc

Default air arc

sorry for so many questions but i need a refresher on air arc been a few years since ive done it and only done it a couple timesbut i have some cracks to gouge on an excavator bucket and air arc i think would work best

I will give you a few friendly pointers on posting a question. Try to capitalize letters at the beginning of sentences and use periods, comma's and question marks to show the end of a sentence. It is hard to figure out what your actual question is. It depends on what size rod you are using. 1/4" should be fine for gouging cracks and whatever your welder will push, turn it up all the way. I have used jumpers to attach 2 machines together and give me 700-800 amps. 350 amps is fine for 1/4.

Do you have a gouging torch/lead? 3/16" CAC rods work fine on a 250 amp machine, 1/4" on a 300 amp machine. Need lots of air but that depends on what your gouging torch requires.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I personally like using a 3/16 rod, the more you remove, the more you have to put back. But if removing it completely, then 1/4" is great. It all depends on how big of a machine you have as well.

DCEP

I remember my heat settings as in 1/2 of what the mm size is so 1/4" = 6.4 mm turns into 320 amps.

Thanks for the help guys. I have an older syncrowave 300 and yes the guy i am doing this for has an arc air lead. How do you move the rod along do you have to do circles or crescents like a 6010 or do you just push it along?

I will work on my grammer. sorry

I would not use a syncrowave to air arc, just my opinion. I don't have any facts for this but back in the early 90s the LWS tech told us this is a bad idea as the syncros had sensitive parts that could be damaged by air arcing. Like I said no facts on this.

If you are going to use it anyway then do not set your machine to 100%. It has been metioned many times on this board to not go above 85-90% of max when air arcing.

Read the link in the post above. Stick the rod in with about 4-6" sticking out, the rod will burn down so then you just reposition it in the stinger. Watch out where the sparks are going because they can fly a long way. Use hearing protection.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
    I will give you a few friendly pointers on posting a question. Try to capitalize letters at the beginning of sentences and use periods, comma's and question marks to show the end of a sentence. It is hard to figure out what your actual question is. It depends on what size rod you are using. 1/4" should be fine for gouging cracks and whatever your welder will push, turn it up all the way. I have used jumpers to attach 2 machines together and give me 700-800 amps. 350 amps is fine for 1/4.
    I have extras if anyone needs them
    .............................???????????????////////////////(((((((((((((-----------!!!!!!!!!!!!!''''''''''''''''''''''''"""""""""""<< <<<<<<<<<&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&$$$$$$$$$$#########%%%%% %%%%%%%+++++++++++++=============
    help youself
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I use a scraping motion, drag straight down the crack. If you want, arc for a bit on a piece of scrap to get a nice rounded edge on the end of the rod, and that way you can gouge out a good bevel with little to no cleanup. Start at the top, and arc down so you arent blowing metal into your clean groove. Keep in mind what way you are throwing fire, the metal will fly towards the clamp handle...be on the opposite side.

On a side note, I have also heard not to use a good/newer machine to carbon arc with, we have signs on our welders at work to not arc with certain ones.

Thank you for all the help. The link that OHT sent was very helpful. You guys really know you stuff and I appreciate you all taking the time to help me out.