Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default coiled tubing straightener

I have 9000' of 1 1/4" coil tubing on a spool and am building weldhead fences which I built a bender for bending 12' diameter circles. I also have to build some staight panels as well. I have been just buying the pipe to make these which is very expensive. A friend of mine let me use his coil tubing straightener which works good enough for these panels. Just wondering if anyone else has a tubing straightener. Here are a few pics of the straightener and a pic of the pipe bender for bending 12' diameter.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

That's cool. I have never seen that much tube on a spool. I have used levelers for sheetmetal but never tube...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Well now, wouldn't you know it....

This topic came up very recently in another thread - We all wondered if anyone could build a machine that could "Straighten" pipe after it had been arched.

I realize that your friend's machine is for tubing, but the concept, and the idea is there all the same.

If you have time, I would really appreciate some more pics of your friend's straightener, and maybe a quick walk through as to how he designed it to work.

Thanks,

Have a Nice Day.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

I will try to get some pics today once the hurricane slows down here in southern Alberta

My nephew manages a co. that make u-bolts, they have several old straightening machine for various sizes of solid rod, ms and ss. Pretty cool watching the process of straightening as well the threading and bending.
    L*S

That's a cools setup. I've never seen steel tubing coiled like that. I'm sure you'd save by buying it in a big coil like that and having the machine to un-coil it is even better. The un-coiler looks like it's set up for use in the field such as perhaps running sales line for natural gas. Appears it can be dragged into the field to uncoil tubing. Is this the case? Also did he design and build the machine or was it bought that way?

I use a pinch roll regularly to straighten flat steel, especially after it's been sheared into strips. I'm sure this machine works on a similar principle. Rolls are an amazing thing they can either form arches & circles or straighten them out depending on how you use them. I've over rolled sheet stock on occasions (nobody is perfect except maybe my step-dad (but we won't discuss what kind of perfect he was)) then had to turn it over and reverse the operation and flatten it back out and start again.

Just yesterday I needed about 60 lengths of 1/4" by 1 1/4" bar stock and had none. I had several drops of 1/4" plate though so I sheared them into 1 1/4" strips which looked like a corkscrew when I sheared them. I took them to the pinch roll and rolled an arch in the opposite direction which took out the spiral but reversed the arch. I re-adjusted the rolls then ran the strips through again and had the bar stock I needed and was just as straight as if I had bought HR bar stock.

Please if you can would you show us more pictures and details of this un-coiler?
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Well now, wouldn't you know it....

This topic came up very recently in another thread - We all wondered if anyone could build a machine that could "Straighten" pipe after it had been arched.

I realize that your friend's machine is for tubing, but the concept, and the idea is there all the same.

If you have time, I would really appreciate some more pics of your friend's straightener, and maybe a quick walk through as to how he designed it to work.

Thanks,

Have a Nice Day.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember the post well as it ruffled my feathers a good bit. I remember seeing the video clip you're referring to and thought now this machine would un-do that easily!
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

I havn't been able to take pics today but the tubing is used for cleaning out natural gas wells. They can only use it for so long and then must replace it. There is alot of this tuff around here (southern Alberta). The biggest problem is that the roll of tubing weighs close to 20000 lbs. I had to get a 30 ton picker to get it onto my rotating table. I just ran out of the tubing today but will be getting 2 more full spools early next week.(18000').

Default plpe straightener

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbuilder View Post
    I have 9000' of 1 1/4" coil tubing on a spool and am building weldhead fences which I built a bender for bending 12' diameter circles. I also have to build some staight panels as well. I have been just buying the pipe to make these which is very expensive. A friend of mine let me use his coil tubing straightener which works good enough for these panels. Just wondering if anyone else has a tubing straightener. Here are a few pics of the straightener and a pic of the pipe bender for bending 12' diameter.

Jim
    I sure could use one of these tube straighteners Can you buy them or get plans to build one Thanks Teddy

Default need to rent this straightner

Any chance of renting a straighter?