Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: union advice

Default Times are a chagin'

Quote Originally Posted by jessehornberger View Post
    I graduated with an associate in applied science – welding technology in 2008. And I have been working in non union shops since then making decent money working as much as I want; I do mostly TIG on SS. I am very happy with my job, and wondering what would a union do for me or why I would even want to be a part of one? Maybe the OP should consider non union also? Granted I did find a very honest shop with high morals and ethics, and they treat us excellent and with respect. The reason for Union is to protect the workers. The workers pay a fee to be protected. If you don’t Need to be protected, then why pay the fee? If we had a union in our shop I would be paying them money and they wouldn’t have to do anything, because we are Happy!
    I have worked in a company that had former union workers working for them. Other companies in the same trade (aluminum die casting) that were union were either loosing business to NON UNION businesses or closing up becuase the union choked life out of the company. Like Jesse said, if you are union, you pay the union dues from your hard earned money. You are then held hostage by the union if someone gets bent out of shape and says "Lets Strike!"

Non Union Shops in Right to Work states pay competive wages or higher. If you ever decided to become a business owner yourself someday, then you become a target by said unions. Why limit your oportunities by being tied down by a union.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

I know Texas is and Ok may be "Right to Work" states so if you stay in the area you may not need your Union. As stated above - why if nothing gained.
    Roger Troue

Retired since 2004

Miller 211
    Miller 200 Syncro
    Miller 375 Extreme

I know both union and non-union shops and workers. A LOT of the union guys say that the union takes a chunk of their wages as "dues" and then the folks that take the dues usually do NOTHING about anything except live high on the hog and often take and support political positions that ARE COMPLETELTY CONTRARY to the rank and file workers' feeling on the subject. The rank and file folks are ignored and have NO IINPUT into what THEIR union does or says. WTF???

I will say that unions did (and may still, in some situations) have a value to the workers when it came to dealing with unfair treatment by the company management or owners for whom they worked. On the other hand, I could never see anyone going out and killing some other worker bee (and this has happened and may stil be happening) just because that person needed to feed his family..... Maybe the killing and other threatening activities were carried out by union management hired goons, but that makes it even MORE wrong in my mind. I just can not justify going out and hurting or killing MY BROTHERS.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

I am in a different position but if I had to toss it all and start over, had to pick up my lunch box tomorrow skating in to a couple union halls would be near the top of my list and maybe even more so if I had some real education. If I didn't already have a solid plan and was still looking this would be a consideration especially if a guy wants to work in the construction industry, shop type jobs,,,, maybe not so much.
    There is something to be said for knowing your way around a union hall.

Default Pro union

Have been in Local 100 Dallas, TX for 40 yrs. Made me a good living all those years, always good stuff to weld from HVAC to cleanrooms

Keep in mind that some union locals are "hiring halls" and some are not. Depends on the trade and local agreements. For instance, if my company needs to hire a heavy equipment operator (operating engineer), we call the local hall(150), and request an operator for said piece of equipment. The hall dispatches the first available guy on the list. We have no say in who they send us and hope that the guy is a competent operator.

Other tades around here like carpenters/laborers , we can hire the ones we want without going through the hall. Obviously, you can interview a prospective employee for your own good.

The hiring halls, like the operators, have more control over their rank and file. Most of the time, we get a decent guy. But all it takes is one guy out of 10-15 to screww things up.

Yes, lots of local contractors use the same men, I know several Ironworker's work for the same outfits for years. They need extra they hire thru the hall or when big outfit moves in on a job thats how its manned. When I was out of town I really wanted to work, like the OT, etc and a good place to fit for me as well as easy top get sent to was big out of town contractors, American Bridge, etc. It was routine for them to be turning over manpower and local hands that were worth a **** or other wise employed wanted something easier than these guys.
    Big ole tools, heavy, giant size, rolls of lead, heavy planks, chokers, you name it the stuff was over size, hanging from a girt somewhere with 200 ft of lead. The speed and ferocity in which they operate isn't for everyone, ha and its hard to go a week without some breath taking deal. Work is a competitive sport.

Innersheild baby,,, can anyone run this machine, you betcha, like 7018 on steroids.

You have gotten some good advice here and quite a bit of bullsh1t too. I have belonged to the United Auto Workers, the United Mine Workers and have been a member of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers for the last 21 years.

I've worked non-union jobs before and as was said one company I worked for treated the workers fairly well and with respect. Most don't. Especially in times like this they will just look at you and tell you that if you don't like it they've got a hundred guys just waiting to take your job. Without a union what do you do?

Do your research; ask questions of members and get in touch with the local halls. Check out the websites for the Boilermakers (http://www.boilermakers.org), the Pipefitters, the Ironworkers, the Sheetmetal workers and the Electricians even have a few welders.

Remember there is a difference between the trade unions and shop unions in the way things are done but one thing is constant..........you will pay union dues. I have never griped about paying mine because I know what the union has done for me. Is a union perfect or one big happy family all the time? NO! But just consider this, the United States is a union and together the people have benefited far more than they would have by each going their separate ways. There are disagreements about some things but we all stick together. United we bargain, divided we beg.

One more thing. The comment by flukecej;

You are then held hostage by the union if someone gets bent out of shape and says "Lets Strike!"
    is a thing of the past. Wildcats haven't happened since the early 1980's. It's pretty rare to have a strike at contract time unless that is the last resort.

Good luck, Bob.
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Welder View Post
    .... Check out the websites for the Boilermakers (http://www.boilermakers.org), the Pipefitters, the Ironworkers, the Sheetmetal workers and the Electricians even have a few welders.
    No love for the Millwrights?!
    UBC Intl
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180