Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: union advice

Sorry, I got in a hurry! I've got a couple of buddies in the Millwrights, didn't mean to give them the short end of the stick!
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Welder View Post
    You have gotten some good advice here and quite a bit of bullsh1t too. I have belonged to the United Auto Workers, the United Mine Workers and have been a member of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers for the last 21 years.

I've worked non-union jobs before and as was said one company I worked for treated the workers fairly well and with respect. Most don't. Especially in times like this they will just look at you and tell you that if you don't like it they've got a hundred guys just waiting to take your job. Without a union what do you do?

Do your research; ask questions of members and get in touch with the local halls. Check out the websites for the Boilermakers (http://www.boilermakers.org), the Pipefitters, the Ironworkers, the Sheetmetal workers and the Electricians even have a few welders.

Remember there is a difference between the trade unions and shop unions in the way things are done but one thing is constant..........you will pay union dues. I have never griped about paying mine because I know what the union has done for me. Is a union perfect or one big happy family all the time? NO! But just consider this, the United States is a union and together the people have benefited far more than they would have by each going their separate ways. There are disagreements about some things but we all stick together. United we bargain, divided we beg.

One more thing. The comment by flukecej;

is a thing of the past. Wildcats haven't happened since the early 1980's. It's pretty rare to have a strike at contract time unless that is the last resort.Good luck, Bob.
    Well...we'ver had two large work stoppages/strikes over the last two summers. Ironworkers and teamsters, then the operating engineers this past summer. Problem here in NW Indiana is that the majority of the ironworkers and operators are working in the mills & BP under Nat'l maintenance contract but still voted to strike. Gutless in a way, as THEY keep working while their brothers on Highway and Building trades contracts are out of work. And work has been on the slow side last 3-4 years around here. I had a lot of my tradesmen telling me how pissed they were to out of work. So, just be aware of the reality of the situation.

Sorry, I got in a hurry! I've got a couple of buddies in the Millwrights, didn't mean to give them the short end of the stick!
    no love for steamfitters

By dunes;

Well...we'ver had two large work stoppages/strikes over the last two summers. Ironworkers and teamsters, then the operating engineers this past summer. Problem here in NW Indiana is that the majority of the ironworkers and operators are working in the mills & BP under Nat'l maintenance contract but still voted to strike. Gutless in a way, as THEY keep working while their brothers on Highway and Building trades contracts are out of work. And work has been on the slow side last 3-4 years around here. I had a lot of my tradesmen telling me how pissed they were to out of work. So, just be aware of the reality of the situation.
    Was this a strike for a better (new) contract or a "wildcat" which is an unauthorized strike, usually but not necessarily limited to a grievance?
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

America is a Union

By metalworksinc;

no love for steamfitters
    Pretty sure they're part of the UA so they would be included in the Pipefitters, at least around here. Yeah, I've got a soft spot for all my Brothers.
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

America is a Union

Smwia member 21yrs LU17 Boston.Been a good to me so far.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

UNITED BROTHERHOOD OF CARPENTERS AND JOINERS OF AMERICA LU#13

23 years and counting.

Default stay the **** away from unions

i repeat stay the **** away from unions

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamBam27 View Post
    i repeat stay the **** away from unions
    hi,MERRY CHRISTMAS ! Well, as far as unions go I just retired from pipefitting and MY UNION PENSION is almost $4000.00 a month. Some current NONUNION welders do not make that a month today. Granted times are changing and work is there.I took advantage of education and was never out of work and I worked local within a average of 40 minute drive and made good money.I don't know what non union companies offer today but from what has been posted on this site it doesn't sound good. Especially from a safety and health issue.
    My dad was nonunion and always worked but at times was treated like s##t. He knew his business and left employers that were like that. The last employer {nonunion] appreciated my dads talent and abilities and paid him well. He retired and that boss took good care of him.
    Its up to each individual on choice of employment and locations. Some states may be better than others. All I know is that my Union Employers appreciated me and always was paid over scale and was never out of work . No matter which way you go, you must sell yourself! Be the best at what you do and the more you know the better employment will be. Good luck, BOB

By dunes;

Was this a strike for a better (new) contract or a "wildcat" which is an unauthorized strike, usually but not necessarily limited to a grievance?
    'd

If you choose to picket a job that you are signatory to a Project Labor Agreement on, I'd say if it's not a wildcat strike, it's a poor choice. Especially when all the other trades were working every day crossing the OE's pickets lines. Operators alsopulled a picket on material at one of my jobs about 4 years ago. Quit work at 9:00am, no notice...that a wildcat.