Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default pipe specs., info please

I am building a 6 sign billboard, but the customer wants to use a 3/16 wall steel pipe. My engineer can't find any structural specs on the pipe, 4" 5" and 6", it doesn't matter if that is OD or ID. He needs these to figure the windload, the moment, or breaking point. Any info is a plus. I have searched myself and come up empty, even calling our local and some out of town supply yards. Hoping someone on here can help point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    DAY WELDING LLc

1992 dodge cummins welding truck
    trailblazer 302
    2004 cummins welding truck.
    old SA 200
    Victor torch set
    Lots of crazy ideas!!

That really doesn't sound right, any engineer doing structural calcs will have that information at hand.
    I'd look for another engineer if it was my money.
    I don't think there is a structural engineer on the planet who doesn't have the
    AISC Steel Construction Manual, a small book that list's properties of every structural shape in common use.
    It's also really good for detailing information to those of us who aren't engineers.

JTMcC
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Default Schedule 40 Pipe Specs are easy to Find...

However, 3/16" wall thickness in 4", 5" or 6" is tubing or RIGID CONDUIT wall thickness and IS NOT STRUCTURAL. 4" Sch. 40 Pipe has a 1/4" wall thickness and is plenty stout. Sch. 40 data is available on the internet and in any Enigineering Handbook in Publication. Sch. 40 is also listed in anything that has Structual Materials or elements listed. Get a copy of Shapebook 2009, it has all the structural design details for structural steel listed. Then of course, you could find a Structure of Materials Textbook from a University Bookstore and calculate the things you need to know by hand.

I would not use 3/16" wall tubing for signage, unless proper reinforcement could be designed into the engineered piece.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

.188 wall is common in Line Pipe, in sizes quite a bit bigger than 6".
    If they spec that wall thickness then I'd guess they had bought surplus pipe at a good price and want to use it.
    JTMcC
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Just checked my two CISC handbooks, and I cant find specs for your steel pipe you have chosen. I agree with flukecej, you could try using some round HSS steel instead.

Luke
    Lincoln tombstone AC/DC
    Hitachi Chop saw
    Victor HEAVY Duty Torch set (propane)
    ATLAS Model 618 Steel lathe Traded for a RED face SA 200
    Hitachi Grinders
    Lot of hand tool and hammers
    150LB Anvil+ a forge
    Lincoln SA 200x4
    MillerMatic 212 auto set

A good way to get a quick idea may be to look at other units that have been engineered, do they do them the same way?