Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Forklift Receiver Trailer Mover

Just thought I'd share a recent project that I built that has really come in handy. My forklift receiver makes moving the trailers that I work on a real breeze. I also have an insert with a large hook hanging for lifting stuff by chain or an eye hook (like my gas driven welder) I really enjoy getting info and ideas from this forum. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic Reach
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller BlueStar 185DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Wellsaw Bandsaw

Evolution Metal Chopsaw

I like what you made but I'm not seeing how you "lock" that adapter onto the forks to prevent it from pullling off.

Would you post more details and/or photos please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
    I like what you made but I'm not seeing how you "lock" that adapter onto the forks to prevent it from pullling off.

Would you post more details and/or photos please?
    Notice the 1/2" pins, looks to be a hole thru the forks
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    Notice the 1/2" pins, looks to be a hole thru the forks
    I was assuming that it would be something of that type of retention but due to my photo viewer, I could not actually see the pins in the picture attached

Cool

Holes thru the forks are a big no no. ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Yes, there are 2 small clean drilled holes near the end of the forks that allow the pins to hold it in place. I haven't had any problems with anything. I mainly use my forklift for moving trailers and loading equipment in a trailer. I used this set-up the other day mounting a leaf vacuum Billy Goat on the front of a customer's trailer.
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic Reach
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller BlueStar 185DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Wellsaw Bandsaw

Evolution Metal Chopsaw

I have used a rig like that, or just a hole in the fork for a ball to move trailers and I can tell you, things can get squirrely in a hurry! The biggest issue is that the forks are not tied down and if the trailer exerts up pressure on the tongue the forks rise and the trailer pushes up into the forklift. This comes into play on downhills mostly, but a slight downhill will do it (think driveway ramps), and even slight dips where the forks tilt down slightly and the trailer jack touches the ground (I have never seen someone moving a trailer with a forklift raise the trailer jack, never). I mostly just use the truck or the tractor now as I have had it happen twice. You can get around this by running a chain from your adapter to the bottom of the rack that holds the forks.

Oh yeah, and don't get caught by OSHA with holes in the forks, big no no, big fine. The normal method for attaching those is to use big thumb screws to tighten them into the forks, then achain to the back to keep it from pulling out.

My forks are locked on the fork carriage and there is no way they are moving. When I pick up a trailer there is all the tongue weight holding it down on the ball anyway. I don't even touch the jack. There is no need. I have never had any issues that you described. And I don't use my lift in a commercial setting. It's just me. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic Reach
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller BlueStar 185DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Wellsaw Bandsaw

Evolution Metal Chopsaw

This type of set up is pretty common as well as just a hole in the end of the fork. Used the hole in the fork method for 20 yrs. at my old job. Not looking to argue as I understand that osha does not allow it.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24